1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'You look like a Supply Teacher!'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Nov 3, 2018.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Thus spoke Noel Fielding to Joe Wilkinson on last night's 'Bake Off: An Extra Slice'. Now, of course I laughed, but did wonder why Noel chose to compare Joe to a supply teacher rather than, say, a Geography teacher? What does a supply teacher look like? I've posted it here rather than on the Supply forum as Personal gets more traffic. [​IMG]

JohnJCazorla, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Bizarre thing to say.

Did Wilkinson respond to Fielding with "yeah, and you look like a poundshop Elvis?"

Supply teachers generally look like people. I'm not being sarcastic, Bertie - I just find it a very odd thing to say about someone.

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Personal does get more traffic but it has to be a certain type of transport.

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  4. BertieBassett2

I know! That's why I thought I'd put it here to gauge reaction! The trouble is, that show is so scripted that Wilkinson probably wasn't allowed to respond!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Some similarity to here.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I did think it an odd comment when I heard it. Like a teacher, yes, but why particularly a supply teacher? o_O

peter12171 likes this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Isn't Joe wilkinson the one on last leg the other night who, when asked about dressing up for Halloween said "looking out of the dark and scaring people is kind of a busmans holiday for me"?

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe nobody at Bake Off had given him a key to the kitchen or left him with a recipe.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

He does dress like teachers did when I was at school, I suppose, although Noel is considerably younger than me. Comedy depends on timing, something to do with the syllables, some words are funnier than others but it could have been history, geography, physics. .. probadly not Nursery, Home Economics, art. I don't imagine it was intended as a slur on supply teachers.

onmyknees and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. BertieBassett2

I agree with you, but I think it puzzled me because a lay person may not have a pre-conceived idea of a 'supply teacher'? (Well, they have now...) As a supply teacher myself (albeit with absolutely no work this term) maybe I am being over-sensitive?

agathamorse, InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I went to see Julian Clary once . He used to comment similarly - maybe drawing attention to tank tops . It made me laugh

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It wasn't the face. It was the outfit. And like most stereotypes, 30 yrs out of date.

And as for Fielding - if you're going to dye your hair Unsuccessful Blond, at least have the courage to wear it instead of covering it with a stupid hat.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don’t think Noel thinks like that ? !

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

That'll be when he was last in a school.

I've always found Noel Fielding creepy.

Aquamarina1234 and blazer like this.
  15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly.

16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Because those watching (the students/audience) think that they're someone who isn't an expert in what they're doing?

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Do please enlighten me as to how Neil thinks? His apogee was before my time.

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Personally although I know three supply teachers, I still have no way of knowing if they are the only three supply teachers who don't possess the bearded avuncular charisma of your pictured chap.
    So in fact you really ought to post this with the picture on the Supply Forum, and just the simple question "Do you look like this man?". Add the vote options "yes" or "no" and ta da! Proper Scientific Inquiry!

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don 't think he cares about his ' unsuccessful blond ' dye job - probably just fancied wearing a hat !!! ....and I love him ...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Me too. Might have mentioned it before.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.