1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're the parent of a baby/toddler when ...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jodidi, Aug 8, 2011.

1. you think of 8am as a perfectly acceptable time to go to the park, even if it's raining.

Please join in with the things you do as a parent that you would never have dreamed would be normal before you had children.

2. you think of 8am as a perfectly acceptable time to go to the park, even if it's raining.

Please join in with the things you do as a parent that you would never have dreamed would be normal before you had children.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I never thought i'd have so many discussions about poo, that's for sure!!
    Referring to dogs as doggies and similar.
    Living in a constantly messy flat, covered in toys.

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Instead of the latest Killers track, you hum nursery rhymes and tunes from annoying toys.
    Having the bathroom to yourself (without infant in moses basket on floor) or at least praying they won't wake from a nap early and need rescuing, is a luxury.
    Your clothes are never clean- milk spills, sick, puree drips.
    Your hosue is never clean either!
    Hours of sleep clocked up becomes an obsession. Your standards of a good night's sleep are very different now!
    It takes ages to get out of the house and you have to carry a ridiculously huge bag everywhere.

5. 8am is a MASSIVE lie in.
    Every time you see a cow you begin to Moo excitedly.
    You fill with sheer rage at the audacity of people who park in the parent and child spaces when they do not have a child.
    The last book you read rhymed.
    'Have you done a Poo?/have you got a stinky bum' becomes an acceptable thing to say.
    Your Mother In Law suddenly becomes ten times more annoying.

6. I agree with most of those.
    Also I am ready to whip my boobs out at any given moment.
    I can't remember the last time I went to the toilet without an audience [​IMG]

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Same! And my son (he's 2) just followed me while i washed my hair. I can't do anything in peace!
    I also agree with all of them! I am forever washing my clothes, my husband's clothes, and my daughter's clothes as we're all covered in baby sick!
    I find myself staying up late even if it means less sleep just so i can have some time to myself.
    Reading the same book 10 times in a row (and yes, it rhymes, and yes I can recite several books off by heart.

8. ooh, i read these posts going "yip" to every one!
    You have whole conversations with yourself in supermarket and other places and don;t really notice it:
    "ooh, LO, what will mummy and daddy have for tea tonight? "
    "Ooh, sausages, good idea"
    "Oooh, I htink we'll have pork and apple"
    "ooh good idea"

Maybe I should add - think aloud every idea. Preface every sentence with and excited "ooh".

9. When you have 500 pictures on your iphone and you're in about three of them.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

You laugh when you think yu used to think it wuld be wrong to go out on a school nigght, in case you turned up tired at work

11. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Getting 'dressed up' to go out now just means checking for rogue baby bodily fluids on your clothes...
    'Cleaning' the house consists of occasionally wiping surfaces with a packet of baby wipes...
    Singing loudly in pulic is not something left to the tipsy and mentally unstable anymore...
    x

12. You go shopping to get yourself a new dress for some occasion and come home with three new dresses for LO and nothing for yourself!

13. .......You don't get to finish your own meal without having to share it with LO even if they have their own food!

Ha ha brilliant thread!

14. Oh so true! Where do they put it all??

15. You don't actually have a handbag anymore, just 1 pocket in the changing bag, and that's if you're lucky.

16. Your school laptop has a button missing because lo has taken it off and eaten it [​IMG]

17. Your school laptop is FILTHY and the ICT man tells you off for not looking after it...
    ... Waybuloo is the only programme in your recently watched items on Iplayer!

18. Mrs Music

Mrs Music New commenter

The items of your handbag include various parts of toys, broken crayons, wipes, half eaten biscuits, a brown banana...

19. This is pretty much the contents of my bag pre-baby.
    Glitterkid, slob extraordinaire.

20. Torrential rain doesn't stop you going for a walk, you just look on it as an opportunity for puddle jumping. (and hysterical laughter when lo falls over in a muddy puddle)