1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know you work in early years when...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Emnemz, Jun 18, 2011.

1. You've had green paint on your coat for six months?

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You're sat comforting an upset child trying to find out what is wrong. They tell you they have wet themselves just as you feel a warm wet feeling on your knee. Happened to a collegue last week!

3. When you see a child eating sand and say, should you be eating that? and the child responds: it's ok i eat the earth to!

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Your black eye is caused by airborn multicultural cooking artefact and you know the incident is related to a trajectories schema.

5. You buy presents for your children thinking I can borrow that for school when they are not looking!

6. I've done that!

7. You're absolutely exhausted!!!

8. you go to bed tired and mostly wake up happy - because each day brings something new

9. When you don't have a job anymore (government cuts in Childrens Centres) but still buy the "5 little mice" you spot in a charity shop because you remember the rhyme!!

10. Every one of these posts apply to me & they made me laugh!
    The last post however, was so sad and unfortunately a sign of what is to come in teaching..

11. Well, you know how well your year long focus on empathy and respecting others is going when, on a visit to a farm, you ask one of your nursery children how a sheep feels when she touches it and she replies, 'Sad?'.

12. justamum

justamum New commenter

when
    .... you walk round all day with a small red hand print on your bottom
    .... you arrive for a weekend with friends and ask to change saying, 'I really do have to change - I sat in a puddle of wee just before I left school'
    ....you can discuss all bodily functions at any time, with anyone
    ....you know exactly where to buy the family pack of worm medicine

13. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

you go to work with your trousders on inside out and you attempt to get into your car still holding a cup of tea !
    I kid you not this has happened to me this term ... roll on summer x

14. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

When everyone else is complaining about very hot classrooms you have sun burn because you spent all day outside [​IMG]. On the flip side you are the only one with your Wellies in your stock cupboard.

15. [​IMG] LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You know you work in early years when you keep a change of trousers in your locker for those unfortunate "wee" accidents (not your own)

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

You are at a social gathering where people near you are talking about a good book they have been reading. When they ask you about your favourite book you say The Gruffalo, much to the bemusement of everyone around. You then remember where you are!
    When at parties with non teachers, you avoid telling new people what you do, for fear of getting quizzed about their child's reading problems or what is going wrong with literacy in english schools. I kid you not on the last one. I replied "Lazy parents who cant be ar*ed to read to their kids." by the way.
    At parties, you gather all the streamers, plastic cups and other party detitrus for your making table.
    In a room full of strangers you suffer with that strange EYFS ESP that magnetically draws you to other teachers.