1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know where the door is

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by guydebec, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Hi
    Would like an SMT perspective on this one.
    After a merely satisfactory OFSTED 18 months ago, a deputy head's stock answer to anyone who questions sweeping changes or makes a criticism is "you know where the door is". It has become a bit of an SMT mantra really. My question is - is this normal? It seems a bit of a morale crushing stance to take. When does assertive leadership become aggressive leadership?
    Everyone agrees that changes needed to be made - and great strides have been taken - but does such an approach with a professional workforce ever work in the long run?

2. Sounds like a typical incompetent or in the new jargon, inadequate SMT, response to some tricky situation.
    Blame the front line classroom teacher, it is always are fault, even when the kettle does not work or the snow comes down. Grades will be affected.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Are fault?

4. https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6000099 see the second point. Your post contributes nothing to this thread!

5. No. Is that better?

6. No, it is your strong staff that leave as it isn't easy to get a job if you arent that confident. No school has a fully outstanding staff and you can't assume anyone will move on. Without a good cpd scheme new staff aren't going to be any good either. I have no idea how you tackle this.

7. Ask the little terd if he knows where it is.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, I thought you'd say that.
    The point is, you've started a thread about 'incompetent teachers' - within my definition of such would be a teacher incapable of recognising (and therefore correcting) a dreadful error.
    I note you're always ready to dish out criticism but really don't like getting it back, however.
    There are some things that are your fault.

9. Surely you meant to write our fault?

10. Responding to all questions/criticisms of new ideas with "you know where the door is" is clearly not appropriate. In schools in challenging circumstances trying to turn things around teachers will fall into 2 categories:
    - 'I don't like and am scared of change and therefore I'm going to argue about everything' and these teachers should be shown the door.
    - 'I agree things need to change but have some concerns about a particular issue...' and these teachers should be listened to. However they may still not get the repsonse they want, but at least opinions have been expressed.
    Middlemarch I love reading your contributions and agree that good spelling and grammar are a minimum expected standard of professionals and we should have glaring mistakes such as these picked up on! The exception of course is typing errors, which this clearly was not, or situations which are more a matter of style of expression rather than correct grammar.

11. That was my first reaction too.
    Why? Is this attitude / behaviour more common in these schools in your experience?

12. I must confess that I have never worked in a non-faith school. My question was in hope that this sort of behaviour should not occur in a church school as it is in direct conflict with many contracts of employment. I respect it should not occur in a non-faith school also, but not my point.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I've only worked in one faith school. The bullying ( of staff) was endemic, there was a gang mentality and in spite of several complaints very little was done about it. It didn't seem particularly Christian behavior to me.

14. Some of the least charitable/Christian people I have ever met have been pracitising Christians, many of whom wouldn't p*ss on you if you were on fire!
    As to the OP, what a ludicrous state of affairs. If this is really happening you need to inform the head and chair of governors. It should not be allowed to continue imo.

15. Hey, if you don't like my spelling and grammar...

(sorry couldn't resist)

Highschooler, I have a deep loathing for people that copy in the chair of governors when their dispute is not with the head himself (or herself). It implies a lack of trust in the head and is basically akin to, "I'm telling on you.".

16. Maybe, but in this case it sounds like there could be an SMT-wide issue that includes the head and should not be swept under the carpet.

17. You make my point for me, exceptionally well