1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know when you think you've seen it all.........

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dragonlady30, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Some people seem incapable of logical thought.

MAGAorMIGA and Dragonlady30 like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Brain Damage is a wonderful thing.

Perhaps the parents would like to pay the rescue bill.

I blame all those accident compensation ads.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Words fail me.

Lara mfl 05 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There are no words.....................well none that the TES norty wurd filter would allow!

Lara mfl 05, bevdex and Dragonlady30 like this.
  6. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

There are words and these are they: instead of jokingly saying we will pay your £7 once you have paid the £7000 for the helicopter, the emergency services should have issued an invoice to these stupid people for the full £7000 and pursued them up through the courts, until they pay it, irrespective of the legal costs, to send a message.

P.S. I assume these people are adults having a kid and all, so please let us know who they are.

This is so typical of today. I remember a few years ago a woman rang 999 because someone had stolen her snowman (it had melted) but the two pound coins she used for eyes had 'disappeared'!

7. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

I fully agree with the coastguard response, charge the parents for the rescue.

8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I thought this story was unbelievable, how could anyone be so ungrateful?

So I looked into it a bit more, and it seems that the story is an example of ''Chinese whispers''

''A [RNLI] spokesman said: "We're aware that there is a story going around on social media today claiming that a family made a claim against a Coastguard helicopter base for the loss of an inflatable following an incident.

"We'd like to point out we've never had a helicopter known as Coastguard 771 & we have no record of anyone contacting any of our bases to claim any money for an inflatable lost at sea.''

https://www.kentlive.news/news/uk-world-news/truth-behind-rnli-lilo-story-3206927

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Doh Cissy!! Why spoil a good 'Disgusted of Worthing' story with the truth?? :rolleyes:

:D :D :D

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Sorry :oops:

But on the plus side, it's good publicity for the RNLI, and awareness of the dangers of inflatables.

They re-tweeted their advice #RespectTheWater

:)

11. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'm not surprised. Lots of parents in our area are like this-one was whining about having to provide meals for her children in the school holidays-she has never worked, keeps getting pregnant again and again, spends the benefit money on tattoos/cosmetic surgery, and has complained to the school about her child's designer shoes going missing (and yes, I come from a family that lived in council houses and have occasionally needed benefits, but we never put luxuries before providing food for the family!)
    Sending a bill in this way is just a logical extension of this.

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Whether it's true or not, I wouldn't find it hard to believe (as I have heard too many stories like this from too many reliable sources!)

13. borges33

borges33 New commenter

14. Dragonlady30

Thank you for this, borges. :)

I did hear a similar tale from an RAF winchman when he visited school on a careers visit.