1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know when you did all that studying for your degree and then endured the hell of teacher training and the joy of getting your first job...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bizent, Apr 19, 2012.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

...only to find that your expertise would be put to great use a couple of times a week doing break and lunch duty.
    Following smokers, crowd control in the canteen..... I am so glad I came this far!

2. bizent

bizent Star commenter

...only to find that your expertise would be put to great use a couple of times a week doing break and lunch duty.
    Following smokers, crowd control in the canteen..... I am so glad I came this far!

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

so your job is as a lunchtime supervisor..?

4. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Erm...no...

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Not sure what the problem is then... sorry [​IMG]

6. Come off it. Don't be deliberately obtuse. The poster is a teacher tired of the trivial **** teachers have to do beside lessons and marking.

7. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Exactly that!

8. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

'twas ever thus and in fact teachers used to do a lot more of that stuff than they do now.

9. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

But my teachers also used to be able to say "write an essay on XXX and finish it for homework" and then sit at the front of a silent classroom and do their marking.
    They also used to do such banned tasks as "collecting dinner money" and "collecting homework" in form period - which meant they didn't have to waste their time (and the kids who, as we surely all know find no value at all in form period) in coming up with time fillng "activities".

10. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

You know that bit when from May they all go on ,"study leave" and your timetable vanishes until the following September, three months out of the nine that you toil away over the plate of digestives in the staffroom .........

11. bizent

bizent Star commenter

have they got chocolate on them?

12. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Do yours still go on study leave then? Ours are in school on some sort of timetable until the end of the exam period. Always supposing you have a year 11 class that is.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

your lucky you have biscuits...when i go in a primary staffroom they are devoured before the lessons start!"..if not they are polished off at break by the TA's as the teachers often dont have time to go to the staff room!¬
    I just sit there and dribble as im not supposed to eat biscuits![​IMG]

14. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Any way , I remember when i used to lunch duty every lunch duty for the free meal..and playground duty and fight breaker upper and crowd marshall when i was in secondary..those where the days.......sniffing banda and letting the kids relax as the spirit of banda sent them off into a dream!

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

When I am teaching bottom set Year 10 I sometimes wonder what use my maths degree is. It didn't include a module on sharpening pencils, or one on calming down teenagers in a temper.
    Before teaching I worked as an accountant. The maths degree wasn't hugely relevant for that either.

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Is this a joke? This bit of the year where year 11 disappear is filled with a timetable roll forward, meaning I get all my new classes at the time of year when I'm the most tired. And you'd think we'd gain year 7 time sincce they wont be here til September....but oh no! We have 9 whole days of the year 6 students coming up to secondary school to spend time doing lessons with us!

17. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I used to wonder at the additional skills and experience I had acquired in order to have insults and furniture thrown at me.

18. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Bottom set Yr 10 today was mostly 'Oh, you can remember your (banned) mobile phone, but you can't remember a pen?' I've told them that next time they have a phone but no pen, I'll have the phone. They get a pen. And we each get to keep them.
    gruoch - no degree.

19. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

What is banda sniffing??

20. They didn't necessarily have to have a degree, though. Very many who taught me, had no degree.
    The qualifications have been upped, the actual quality of the job has gone down.
    You don't need to waste 4 years of your life, to stand in a playground and check for secret smokers. You can do that if the rest of your job is ok.
    There are bits of my job I hate - but the rest is great. I am out of teaching though and no wild horses would drag me back into a state school.