1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You know, I've never seen the TES Job section look so dead. There are hardly no jobs for History, Pastoral, or Religious Education.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by andrew07, Dec 9, 2011.

1. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

Only 4 jobs in History and only 1 job available in RE. This is usually what the TES looks like in the Summer Holidays. Never during the year. It seems as if it started when the TES changed their website too.

2. andrew07

Only 4 jobs in History and only 1 job available in RE. This is usually what the TES looks like in the Summer Holidays. Never during the year. It seems as if it started when the TES changed their website too.

3. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

The number of jobs is down across the country. I was chatting about this with a friend who had wondered if there were less jobs being advertised (now and throughout the year), and we concluded that yes, there were less advertised compared with when we finished our PGCE in 2007. We estimated that it was down by at least a third.
    I teach two core subjects and there are still a lot advertised but very few near me.
    People just aren't leaving their jobs any more. The recession has bitten hard and whereas a few years back people would have said "sod this" and resigned, the job losses in the private sector means that it's just not as easy to get another job.
    Hope you find something soon.

4. andrew07

Well, I consider myself lucky to have a job now but, the thing is sometimes in a recession, your job becomes your worst enemy. You feel trapped in a job that isn't going well and surrounded by back biting people (and violent and rude) at the school I "teach" and yet you really have no way to escape unless you sign on, and you won't get much doing that.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very true. The number of jobs on offer has fallen sharply.
    No, there you are wrong.
    It started from January, a sharp drop in the number of jobs on offer. It looks worse at the moment because this is, actually, always the worst time of year for jobs, so in a downturn it looks worse than ever.
    The print section is so thin . . .
    Overall there have been about 35% fewer jobs on offer this last year compared with, say, 3 years ago.
    Add to that the very high numbers of PGCE students who have not been able to start their induction. I do not yet have figures for the 2011 finishers, but I do know that the 2010 and 2009 finishers had less than 50% in jobs by Januray, compared to 80% 5 years ago.
    So fewer jobs, a backlog of unemployed PGCE students (there are 2009 and 2010 finishers still looking, as well as 2011 cohort), and schools with budget problems making short-term appointments only. It's grim out there.
    The only good thing is that there was a big cut in the numbers taken on to PGCE courses in September 2011, so in 2012 there will <u>not </u>be another big flood of new finishers.
    Have a good weekend - it's sunny here in London.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars