1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You helped me buy a bike, now .......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jun 21, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

4. we put the back seat of our Ford Ka or VW Polo down, take the wheels off (quick release) and stick them in the back. Much better fuel economy too. We can also fit all the other luggage for a week away in there too....
    Do you have quick release wheels? if unsure, take a photo of the bit where the wheel attaches to the frame and post and I can tell you. Taking wheels on/ off is easy with quick release. It must be. I can do it!

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/71-fx-2011-womens-hybrid-bike-ec025532#answers
    This is the bike I bought.
    At the moment we are putting bikes in the back of the car but are considering a rack because of losing the luggage space. The wheels are quick release so it's not impossible but I would prefer the rack, it seems to be less hassle. OH is less keen because of scratching the car or the bikes being unstable when we travel at any sort of speed. He's worried that the shape of the car doesn't lend itself to a rack and wondered if there was anyone with firsthand experience.realy appreciate all comments - so much more reliable than a salesperson.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If your car's got roof bars/rails and you buy one of those rear-mounted racks that rests on the rear screen's glass, you could always run an extra webbing strap between the roofbars and the bike(s) as a sort of failsafe. One thing to watch with the rear-mounted racks is that you don't put undue pressure on any badges or on the rear wiper assembly. The main problem with roof-mounted bike racks is their impact on fuel economy.