1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You having a Jubilee party down your street?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bombaysapphire, May 25, 2012.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We are in the close that I live in. They had one for the Royal Wedding last year but we moved here after that.
    Arrangements are very relaxed. We are all to take out a table and chairs and lay out some food to share. Everyone provides their own cutlery and drink.
    There are no issues with closing the road because it doesn't lead anywhere which makes it simple.
    I am really looking forward to it and already planning what to cook [​IMG]

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

There's all sorts going on ni the villages around us but we're having a big bash at Belle Towers. Keeping it all very British with Pimms, coronation chicken, British bangers and strawberries and cream. All the neighbours are bringing various salads. Loads of bunting and a lifesize out out of Her Maj plus the dress code is red, white and blue.
    Will be fun!

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

When I go out to the Supermarket everything seems to be red/white/blue....back here on the estate where I live you wouldn't know there was a jubilee.
    No-one seems to have organised a street party....or if they have, I haven't been given an invitation! Maybe they know my anti-social tendencies, and the first I'll know is when bunting goes up overnight!
    Personally, I shall stay at home and indoors. I'm hoping they don't take off all decent TV for some six-hour long documentry about the queen....give us a decent film (and something relatively new!) to enjoy....maybe I'll put a DVD on instead.
    (I am also hoping the Olympics are a wash-out......I'm a right grumpy old biddy this summer!.....it all strikes me as a huge waste of money....and an attempt to gloss over the dire state of the British economy by encouraging people to party.)

4. I'm using the occasion to put on a party at my house. The day also coincides with my Mum's birthday so it's not entirely a celebration for the Jubilee. The cul-de-sac that I live in has a whole mix of people, ranging from professionals, retirees, young couples and 10 alms houses for old people. We've adopted many of the old people are extra grannies and grampas so are doing a Jubilee tea-party for them at lunchtime and then the day will morph into a bbq for the rest of us later in the afternoon/evening (i'm lucky that my house and gardens are big enough for the whole street to come).
    I'm not exactly going overboard but I have made bunting, balloons, red/white/blue tableclothes & napkins and we've arranged for some party games too. I just have to keep my fingers crossed that I'm not scheduled for surgery immediately before else my plans will be scuppered.

5. You are indeed!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'm afraid we are at Belle Towers! [​IMG]

7. Not a street party but we have erected a marquee down on the bottom paddock ,festooned with bunting and red, white and blue, twinkly lights. The bunting and flags will stay up until England are knocked out of the Euros.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

So....they'll be put away in nearly mint condition then?
    *runs away quickly and hides*

9. Oh ye of little faith. :¬))

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

nope, just round the corner.
    I have the bunting and flags.
    I like a social.

11. Are you having a bit of a barn raising as well, lurkio?

12. We are off to Shropshire with friends for a long weekend..and yes, they've planned a celebration so have bunting, decorations, food and fizzy stuff etc. Where I live there are an incredible number of street parties taking place...it's amazing.
    For the royal wedding one of my local friends had a 'ladies who lunch do' at her house and she pulled out all the stops for a garden party...Fabulous food and drink, and canapes, dainty little fruit tartlettes for when we watched the TV...it was all very 'upmarket' although as she commented, it didn't take long for the tone to be lowered! She'd thought of everything.The only thing we had to do (no admittance otherwise) was to wear posh frocks and our pearls...and as much bling as we thought appropriate. Memorable day...

13. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Not here, I'm afraid.
    It's as much as the neighbours can do to talk to each other, nevermind have a party!

14. I'm not sure if my estate is but I know my mum is hosting a Jubilee celebration buffet for relatives.

15. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Nothing going on here. Dont know the neighbours very well despite living here for 25 years.

16. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Nah. Scots don't tend to go all out for royal events.

17. Why not?

18. because the royals are more German than Scottish. Which one have you heard speaking with a Scottish accent, Jimmy?

19. I've seen them wear kilts...which is more than I can say for Angela Merkel.

20. I am not sure if anything is happening in my close. When is it?
    I remember for the Silver Jubilee in 1977 Mrs Dekka painted a Union Jack on our coal house wall and all the street had tables and chairs out in the back lane for an alfresco meal. It was bloody freezing and it took me weeks to get the paint off the coal house wall.
    Anyway I can't stand the Royal Family apart from Betty Windsor. She's a canny old stick- she's just like my Mam (88 in July and still as sharp as tack).