1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You guys make a difference

Discussion in 'Music' started by Geoff Thomas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I am not a music teacher, but I sing in a male voice choir.

This morning I was a volunteer steward at the Llangollen International Festival, and the choir competition was for those of secondary school age.

Yes - there were some "district" choirs, but there were also school choirs from all over England and Wales. I was enthralled by their performances. These were not specially selected musical talents. They were ordinary kids who have been inspired by brilliant teachers to participate in, and enjoy making music together to a very high standard.

They got a big buzz from their performances, and so did the audience.

So - to those of you who do: well done - it IS worth it

and to those of you who maybe don't: please think about it.

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Dear Mr Thomas, Thanks for the compliments. Could you write and tell Gove 'Our Leader' and also tell him that since we are so special shouldn't our subject should be included in the English Baccalaureate? And do tell us how you get on. Thanks

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Would you really want to be in the EBac? If you were, you would lose all control of what you do, and would probably end up with a prescribed set of jingoistic and "patriotic" songs which Gove vaguely remembers from his childhood

4. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

You're right about the songs we'd have to teach and topics such as ' Elgar's contribution to British Rock,' etc but we'd be given some much needed status may even increase the uptake of KS4 music which could generate more employment. From what I've read it's boosted Humanity and Language teachers recruitment, well slightly.