1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You don't get extra pay for being a co-ordinator?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by darkness, Jan 14, 2012.

1. darkness

darkness New commenter

Shocked. Literally. I was informed recently you get nothing extra, not unless you have a loving HT.

I would have thought like in secondary if you take on extra responsibilities you get a TLR, nothing in primary.

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

Shocked. Literally. I was informed recently you get nothing extra, not unless you have a loving HT.

I would have thought like in secondary if you take on extra responsibilities you get a TLR, nothing in primary.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You might if you are literacy or maths co-ord. In our school everyone, except NQTs, co-ord something. The school couldn't possibly afford to give everyone a TLR.

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

At most small-medium sized schools everyone "co-ordinates" at least 1 subject. Most of the time this involves a fairly small amount of extra work I believe (for foundation subjects), and it "looks good on your CV". Literacy and maths co-ordinators in my experience are usually members of the SLT and therefore paid extra anyway.

5. No coordinators in our school get a TLR, only phase leaders.
    Ive actually never heard of any examples of coordinators getting a TLR, for the reasons stated above - everybody usually needs to coordinate something in a primary school.
    That said, if not receiving a TLR you CANT be held accountable for anything, so in a way it takes the pressure off.

6. darkness

darkness New commenter

Perhaps, but you can bet the opposite would happen.

7. They can try to 'blame' you, but it will ultimately come back to the headteacher. You're legally not accountable.

8. I think there is an expectation for people post NQT to be a co-ordinator of something within school, whether that be RE or Art or Design and Technology.
    I am part of the school SMT so do get a TLR; but I am also Numeracy co-ordinator, do all the data analysis and in charge of attempts to improve school attendance.
    The Literacy co-ordinator is also part of SMT so gets a TLR; no other co-ordinators get TLRs at my school and doubt we would without all the other roles and responsibilities.

9. Everyone at my school coordinates something and a fair few have TLRs - including PE, PSHCE, ICT, English, Maths. We are a largish primary, but these TLRs are mostly an overhang from the previous Head. I get the impression the current Head would dearly love to get rid of most of them!

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I do have a TLR ( lowest rate!)
    But then I co-ordinate maths, english, RE ( we are a church school) history and geography, I'm Senior Teacher, ( we don't have an assistant or deputy Head) and am responsible for data analysis , TA management and KS2.
    I think I earn every penny[​IMG]

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

darkness "You don't get extra pay for being a co-ordinator? Shocked. Literally. I was informed recently you get nothing extra"
    I think perhaps this is one of the biggest surprises for people who've worked in Secondaries and move to Primary - co-ordinating subjects and taking on extra responsiblities is 'just part of the job' expectation.
    If like a school in my area where there are just 4 teachers incl. the Head all the responsibilities for subjects have to be shared around and co-ordinating several curriculum areas are part of the job remit.