1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You couldn’t make it up!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tracymicra, Jul 3, 2020.

1. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

Just watching the Boris briefing. The scientist on the left , not Whitty, the other one has just been explaining what constitutes a very risky super- spreader environment. He outlined how they’re :
    • Indoors
    • Crowded
    • Mixing with people outside your family
    • Difficult to maintain social distancing
    • Spend an extended time there
    The scientist was talking about and describing pubs............but doesn’t it remind you of another type of building that we on the TES forums are only too familiar with? I was screaming at the telly for the reporter asking the questions to put this back to Patrick Vallence (his name has just come back to me) but of course he didn’t. And because the next questioner obviously has their own pre-prepared question and not v quick thinking she didn’t ask the obvious either. If a pub is a super spreader environmentalist so is a school!

Later Boris said people should wear masks in confined environments where you are mixing with people outside your family..........on public transport - tick, in shops- tick...............no mention of schools yet again.
    It’s beyond crazy.

steely1, install, Nealswife and 11 others like this.
  2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

nomad, LiamD, Nealswife and 13 others like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Constant snidey snarking. Tiresome.

nomad, LiamD, Nealswife and 10 others like this.
  4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Fair play.

coffeekid likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Because I have the ghastly LC on ignore, I thought you were referring to the OP, coffeekid. Was surprised!

knitone likes this.
  6. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

Thanks Coffee kid. I appreciate your comments .

install likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

Always a silver lining for me.

8. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Does there have to be so much nastiness?

Dodros, steely1, alex_teccy and 15 others like this.
  9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Behave please..................
    You don't HAVE to go to a pub/shop.....anywhere. I know I won't.
    And TBH it won't be very different to Durdle Door, Bournemouth beach, London during the protests or any of the Covid Raves held around the country.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would only go to a pub with a beer garden for now.

11. LondonCanary

I do like the idea of a beer garden with table service. Quite French.

christubbs and agathamorse like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sorry,I just need to correct one thing there. The government does not explain.I think you'll find in fact that it invents.

It bugs me how the term "super-spreader" is being bandied about at the moment in tabloid fashion when medically it actually refers to one person who for a not yet established scientific reason is demonstrably more capable of infecting others with a virus than the average carrier.
    The notion of "superspreader" is an inevitable spanner in the works to Rfactor calculations. because having an R factor assumes that viral spread is not dependant on the make up of the person transmitting.
    Superspreader theory however is dependant on precisely that.
    Moreover, if we were able to determine which of us are actually superspreaders (for it is almost certainly a latent trait) then targetted isolating of individuals would be based in a far more scientifc basis than,say, demographically isolating age groups or those with certain non related medical conditions.
    You can Google what you like on this, searching,say, 20/80 infection theory.
    As usual, however, you shouldn't just take the word of one poster claiming to know about science (or law,or gardening), and always research other opinions too-
    "Super spreaders are of course also a type of margarine that goes on easily even if straight out of the fridge" explained Mr Johnson further, when later interviewed without his earpiece.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  13. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Yes, I'm afraid so :D

Nealswife likes this.
  14. tracymicra

tracymicra New commenter

You’re quite right skrobson, claimed would’ve been better than explained. My main point was to contrast the warnings being made about pubs, whilst ignoring the many similarities with conditions in school. They just seem to say whaFever suits them and it annoys me that no one questions them closely enough before things are brushed aside and they go on to the next topic.

15. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

What frightens me is that too many people are going along with this situation-the difference wit the pubs is that they are (according to a landlady) currently opening only for adults. If adults choose to put themselves at risk, for a few hours a week, that's one thing. Forcing schools to open, and threatening parents who want to keep their children safely out of crowded, badly ventilated buildings is quite another.

16. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

Are you worried about the future

17. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

The point is that children, in their bubbles of hundreds and their siblings, will present risk - to parents and wider family members. So, 3 children - 3 bubbles in my family, to create another one in the evenings! Yippee! Do you thing the 4 year old will wear masks all day? Or not put his dirty hands on another child?

Not really thought through. Forget any rules in schools - it's a farce as someone described it in a previous thread. Who put these people in charge?

18. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I doubt you'll find many of them admitting it.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

The "Great British Public"

20. install

install Star commenter

I agree- it’s not needed. Sad to see on these forums imho.