1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You can't go home again....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by FredGrod, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I'm confused about something and not sure if it's because I'm pig-headed or the school in question is.......
    I've re-applied to an international school(for which I taught an extensive period of time (9 years)) twice in the past 3 1/2 years and been short-listed once and not short-listed this time. In the first instance, I believe there were other issues at play, but this time, the Head of Secondary replied quite candidly that he didn't short-list me because he believes, as a rule, a teacher shouldn't return to a school in which he/she has taught in the past.
    Now, perhaps I'm just a **** teacher and this is the excuse he is giving me, but I don't believe it. Assuming I'm not, who agrees that a teacher shouldn't return to a place at which he/she taught in the past?

2. I'm confused about something and not sure if it's because I'm pig-headed or the school in question is.......
    I've re-applied to an international school(for which I taught an extensive period of time (9 years)) twice in the past 3 1/2 years and been short-listed once and not short-listed this time. In the first instance, I believe there were other issues at play, but this time, the Head of Secondary replied quite candidly that he didn't short-list me because he believes, as a rule, a teacher shouldn't return to a school in which he/she has taught in the past.
    Now, perhaps I'm just a **** teacher and this is the excuse he is giving me, but I don't believe it. Assuming I'm not, who agrees that a teacher shouldn't return to a place at which he/she taught in the past?

3. brigelle

brigelle New commenter

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Not me.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The "shouldn't teach twice in the same place" may just be an excuse.
    You worked there for 9 years, and then you applied twice in the past for a job but didn't get it ( I presume ). It may just be that the applicants that they have had for the position have all been more appropriate than yourself. By this stage they will know more or less everything about you, so the decision may have been made not to interview because of this.
    I have nothing against teaching twice in the same place but as all schools evolve with staff and pupil changes, it is never going to be as if you are returning to the same environment. My view would be never to go back to the same job ( otherwise what was the point in leaving ) although I have known of people who have and have been very happy to return.

6. Good topic! And I am well qualified to comment. My school often employs returnees, me, not being one of them. Sometimes, it is great to see old heads rteurn - sometimes I think, why are we having that bag of sh7t back again. I have also worked with colleagues for a number of years and wondered how the hell they kept their jobs for so long. The answer, back then, was because it was bloody tough to get good staff overseas. Now, it is easy - a lot of folk want to work abroad and out of them, many are quite good.
    Not implying that the OP is not good, but that in the meantime, loads of good teachers have flooded the market. Also, is your school in a hardship posting area? Or is it HK or Singers?
    The school owe you nothing other than to take into consideration that they know what you can bring.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I have heard many people say that going back to a previous school is a bad move, but don't think a blanket statement like this is correct.
    There are many scenarios where this would be actually quite sensible and understandable.
    You may have moved away to get promotion elsewhere, despite actually liking the school you are at. You then might want to move back to gain further promotion.
    It might be that you moved away for personal reasons eg to go back to UK to look after ailing parents and then move back.
    The thing which would be difficult to handle would be if you re-applied back to a previous school and didnt even get a look in.
    the first overseas school I worked in re-employed at least 4 people I know of after various periods of absence.

8. Thanks to all for the replies..I'm currently very happy at a British school on the the river in BKK, so will either stay there or go after some other options in a Brit school in Brunei or an American one in KL...any thoughts on a great destination for a family of 4? (We're leaning towards the American school, being American and all...)

9. Is that the white staff only school? Sometimes jokily referred to as the KKK school?

10. Interesting...I've never heard that about the school.

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

The thing I found easiest to handle was being invited to return to a principal's job I'd joyfully quit eight years previously. Mind you, Mrs M, who answered the phone call, had a bit of a struggle convincing them that I was dead.

12. Resurrecting this thread as the school in question has actually re-advertised the post my family wanted (very recently).
    Do Heads ever swallow their pride? Obviously, they haven't found a suitable candidate, and yet I STILL have the requirements they are looking for - IB experience and the ability to wave my hands around in front of singers.
    I think it would be highly unlikely that we would return to this school after all the bad feelings, but I'm amazed that it wouldn't be able to make an exception to its policy this late in the recruiting period.
    But then again, I still don't have a job, so maybe I AM pretty horrible...(though with my big American head, I doubt that!)

13. In this case I would drop the Head a line. It would save the full blown application process with the possibility of being rejected whilst you would quickly get an inkling if you were going to be considered. My feelings are that in late March a Head would happily swallow their pride for a decent, tested teacher.

In general,I would be against returning to a place that I had taught but many wiser, previous posters have given good examples of when it may be acceptable. Personally, I left for a reason and it is futile trying to capture what you had. School move on pretty quickly.

14. Interesting you say that...his response (after I wrote him about 3 weeks ago) was that he didn't feel the other local hires would like it and that he wouldn't do it. Now, who knows, but I don't think I'd work for him in any case. I'm just wondering if Heads actually EVER swallow their pride...I truly believe he would bite off his nose to spite his face in this case...
    Interview tonight for private school in the States; waiting on a Lady from KL; and places on the Hill in Beijing and HK are still distinct possibilities...fingers crossed!

15. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Good Luck!

16. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Return to an old post, hmmm.
    My last school surprisingly - I'd worked my butt off, stayed loyal during a staffing crisis and been warmly complemented throughout - failed to renew my contract for a third stint yet could give no reason why they would not. <strike>Facing mounting revolution from his parents </strike>Feeling guilty, the owner met with me and categorically stated he had given me a suitable reason for ten minutes, before changing tack and admitting he had not.
    He then proceeded to tell me I was a trouble maker - he produced an email showing I had queried why my electricty bill had risen 50% in a month and another where I had suggested an improvement to our daily transport schedule in wet weather - yet admitted he would happily employ me again at the school (yes, i was confused too), so obviously not too much of one.
    He then threatened to use his embassy connections to prevent me ever from returning to the country in question (presumably that was if I chose not to accept his future job offer) if i told <strike>the truth</strike> any lies to the parents of the school. He then hoped I held no ill feeling and would go for a drink with him if i saw him across the street. Naturally, <strike>the head butt followed </strike>I declined the invitation.

17. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Would love a PM green frog, telling me the school in question.

18. forest1234

forest1234 New commenter

I would have thought someone that was willing to return would be more likely to stay for a while than a newcomer. It sounds like they made up their mind and once set no changes can ever occur.