1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You can only have...........................

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Dec 23, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

One bottle of Scotch, one bottle of red wine, one bottle of sherry and one bottle of port, within sensible price limits what would you choose and why?

My choices:
    1. 10 years old (minimum) Bowmore Islay small batch (prior to the Japs buying the distillery). Wonderfully smooth, sweet and very peaty.
    2. Any good quality Cotes du Rhone (no more than £10/bottle, goes well with most dishes and on its own.
    3. Harveys Bristol cream sherry, memories of Mum and Dad sharing a bottle with friends.
    4. Cockburns special reserve Port, as 3 above.
    Cheers.

colpee likes this.
  2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Can I swap the whiskey for Cointreau please?A favourite tipple that mum and I used to share.
    A nice chilean Pinot Noir - brings back wonderful memories of a fantastic wedding.
    Croft - found memories of sharing one or two with a friend when opening a bottle of wine wasn't on the cards!
    Tesco finest port - one of the best around at the moment.

3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Tamnavulin
    Not very knowledgeable about wine but will look out for the Cotes du Rhone on your recommendation Lexus
    I'll go along with Croft for any roast meal (although it's really too sweet for me). Takes me back to Sunday lunch - chatting with my Mum preparing the meal and Dad in the garden providing the vegetables
    Port - I'm going to take your recommendations again here

4. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Whisky - a nice malt
    Red wine - Pepperjack Cabernet Sauvignon

Don't do sherry or port, but vodka has to Absolut ;)

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Springbank 15 - best made whiskey in Scotland and none of the budget spent of stupid advertising
    Can't decide on a wine because I never remember the names of anything and I'm not bothered by port or sherry - it's always wasted as we never drink the whole bottle.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

1. Laphroaig. I love the peatiness of it.
    2. Mud House pinot noir from Majestic is a current favourite. A bit darker than usual, cherries and spice.
    3. Pedro Ximenez (on ice cream!) with a good salty Manzanilla coming a close second.
    4. A Madeira person from preference: the 15 year old one we bought in Madeira 8 years ago is coming along nicely...

lexus300 likes this.
  7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Sainsbury have a good one on special offer, I think it has been reduced to £8-00/bottle.

lizziescat likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nice choices particularly Laphroaig.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have a similar whiskey left at a friends house cannot remember if identical but yes a good one. Port and Sherry keep for a very long time BTW.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Port with a good cheese;)

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have not tried Tamnavulin, its on my list for the future.:)

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'd swap all that for a bottle of Crémant de Bourgogne, thanks.

Or a Crémant d'Alsace would do nicely.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Go ahead then:)
    Pinot noir seems popular.
    Port and sherry memories of Christmas, nice....

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

More information please!

15. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

@lexus300 - you can have my Scotch and either sherry or port if I can have a nice Shiraz and a bottle of Baileys. Cheers!

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You are welcome and cheers.

17. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

1. upload_2015-12-23_10-16-37.jpeg
    2.[​IMG]
    3. Nothing. Sherry...blech
    4.Can I swap for a nice
    upload_2015-12-23_10-20-16.jpeg

18. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A 12 Year Old Glen Livet - for memories of sitting by the fireplace with Dad spinning stories till the wee hours.

Beaujolais or Burgandy wine for light taste without tannin.

Harvey's Bristol Cream for safety as it's probably the only sherry I can remember -and I like it.

I'll go with you on Cockburn's on port, but also Graham's - best for feet up sole occasions without other alcohol.

19. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Very close to the top of the class:)