1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You can have too much of a good thing - plum tree problem.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jul 31, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our plum tree had masses of blossom and set loads of fruit so we set up three heavy duty supports for the branches, fastening them on pretty well we thought. However, today I thought the tree looked a bit funny and discovered one of the branches has broken. We have taken it right off and painted some "stuff" on the cut and I've taken off the fruit - quite big but still green and rock hard. At the moment I've got a pile of fruit in the utility room. Do you think there is any chance of it ripening at all or will it just rot or shrivel. I probably should go and thin out the fruit on some of the other branches but I hate to do it. I'm fed up because I really thought we'd done enough to protect the tree - we've been here before with a previous tree. Any ideas!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Our plum tree had masses of blossom and set loads of fruit so we set up three heavy duty supports for the branches, fastening them on pretty well we thought. However, today I thought the tree looked a bit funny and discovered one of the branches has broken. We have taken it right off and painted some "stuff" on the cut and I've taken off the fruit - quite big but still green and rock hard. At the moment I've got a pile of fruit in the utility room. Do you think there is any chance of it ripening at all or will it just rot or shrivel. I probably should go and thin out the fruit on some of the other branches but I hate to do it. I'm fed up because I really thought we'd done enough to protect the tree - we've been here before with a previous tree. Any ideas!

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

can you not prop up the branches of the tree til thefruit ripens?
    You need a long pole witha Y shape in the end
    When ts finished fruiting then you can prune back the branches

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We thought we had put in enough support, OH did a great Heath Robinson job with thick stakes and rubber tree ties, but the fruit on this one branch was just too heavy, other branches are also pretty well weighed down but I can't bring myself to take off any of the fruit. I think I will have to lighten the load though.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Ooooooh - interesting! Thanks.

7. Unripe plums have more pectin in them. You could keep them and add 50:50 ripe ones for plum jam without needing to add pectin! Lovely as it won't be as sweet as my greengage jam is going to be, unless I find another recipe!
    Try this link I used it last year when ours just wouldn't ripen at all!
    Or have a look for a chutney recipe, there are lots of different versions aorund!

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

9. I really like the look of that nomad. I'll be giving that a try.