1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You are invited to a regency dinner (think Jane Austen) ..introduce yourself !

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Aug 15, 2011.

1. I was given a Jane Austen cookbook by a friend for my birthday. I invited my friends for dinner in an email and I said I was having problems getting "grogs" from the market and couldn't understand why I couldn't get "double refined sugar" from Waitrose. So back came the emails in Jane Austen style explaning how they would get their osier to polish their harnesses and needing accommodation for their cob and carriage dog .... so now they have decided to wear their best poke bonnets and reticules
    As it's 200 years since Sense and Sensibility. (1811) was published I am going to go along with this.
    So cheekily I am asking you for help with characters for this dinner. ....
    Who would you be?
    Sincerely,
    Mistress La Maddalena

2. I was given a Jane Austen cookbook by a friend for my birthday. I invited my friends for dinner in an email and I said I was having problems getting "grogs" from the market and couldn't understand why I couldn't get "double refined sugar" from Waitrose. So back came the emails in Jane Austen style explaning how they would get their osier to polish their harnesses and needing accommodation for their cob and carriage dog .... so now they have decided to wear their best poke bonnets and reticules
    As it's 200 years since Sense and Sensibility. (1811) was published I am going to go along with this.
    So cheekily I am asking you for help with characters for this dinner. ....
    Who would you be?
    Sincerely,
    Mistress La Maddalena

3. I'd like to help but sadly I died in childbirth just like so many of my contemporaries. It was the rickets from covering myself from head to toe and never going outdoors in case I got a freckle.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

200 years ago my family on my father's side were in the Bakery trade, so I'd probably be a Purveyor of Fine Loaves and Puddings to the Nobility and Gentry of the County.

5. So sorry to hear that Miss Lily. Did you live in a rookery ?
    I will not be serving gin as this is not to be encouraged and a drink of the commoner. That'll upset my friends!

6. I read in a paper at the weekend that the earliest recorded recipe for curry in the English language had been discovered in a cookery book of 1747.
    The author apologised for her writing style, saying that her instructions were intended for the lower orders and therefore had to be delivered in a style they would understand.

7. I would've still been in hiding in France having backed the wrong side (Bonnie Prince Charlie) some years before.
    All my lands would've been confiscated because of my high treason and I would have nowhere to stay on the night of the dinner. Unless you were willing to put me up.

8. ( I am currently tracing my family history on Ancestry.co.uk, and this is what I found.)
    Our family never had a huge amount of luck or good judgement...

9. Ha! Ha!
    One of my friends is French so presumably she has escaped otherwise we won't mention Trafalgar or the Napoleonic wars.
    Lil, I came across this Hannah Grasse who wrote "The Art of Cookery" with the curry recipe this morning. It's where the quote "first catch your hare" was written.

10. My mother's side of the family was Irish. It might explain why I've never been overly fond of potatoes.

11. My mum's side too, through the paternal line. Makes tracing them back more difficult as many Irish records were destroyed by fire.

12. As the schoolmarm I'm just counting myself very lucky to have been invited to dinner at!

13. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'd love to help but as the real life me is character in an Austen novel I feel I must claim conflict of interest!

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'd like to be Lizzie Bennett - stropping at my daft mother and having sharp exchanges with a Colin Firthalike Mr Darcy.

15. I am a Georgette Heyer heroine, but which one? Venetia didn't get out much but she did have Damerel (swoon). Perhaps I shall be The Grand Sophy....young, vivacious and stinky rich.