1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

You are a weak student - you may as well just listen to your Walkman.

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

lol. I could provide you with plenty of examples to the contrary. I've seen teachers with 10 years experience or more never moving on from what they have learned as a student. I've seen NQT's take classes and make more progress with them than highly "experienced" teachers. I've also seen examples the opposite way round. It's not that simple. The quality of teachers depends on a number of factors. If it was simply down to number of years teaching, interviews would be much simpler ;-)

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I can see that Jaden is uncomfortable. If you cannot recognise discomfort in a student when you see it then I cannot help you.

There is no mention in the video or its Youtube infobar that the children - or more importantly their parents - gave their permission for their appearance in the video. There is no mention in the video or its Youtube InfoBar that any identity obfuscating protocols were followed. The Youtube InfoBar for the extended version of the video definitively states that these are pupils at three particular schools. If this is a lie then there is no reason why we should believe anything in the video.

Topics.

Cosmetic, futile and time-consuming. If a student has a product in three seconds or 10 seconds, that's good enough to get on with genuine work, the more of which they do the faster will be their recall.

3. Vince_Ulam

The idea that any significant progress can be made within a single lesson is rubbish. Learning, like teaching, is a marathon and not a sprint.

A teacher who cannot sell their experience in a teaching interview would be hard pressed to sell themselves in any job interview, but if experience of successful practice counts for so little in your estimation then it beggars belief why you think that drilling children's table recall down from three seconds to one second is any kind of a good idea.

4. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

1. Not looking for help ;-)

2. You assume Jaden is uncomfortable because you assume the picture was of him. As I said, if you've produced videos before, this is an assumption you can't make. The teacher is not watching the video giving a commentary on what she sees. She was interviewed independently of the pictures and her voice used over the top of what's called the 5 shot rule - clips used to give a flavour of whats going on whilst listening to the speaker.

3. Even if he IS uncomfortable and it IS Jaden, then don't you want to assume that he was asked (and his parents) if he wanted to be included in the video? Seems daft for someone to release this only to be faced with youtube taking the video down because either himself or his parents objected.

5. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

Not sure if you're deliberately misunderstanding, or writing in anger. I mean a NQT taking over from an "experienced" teacher (eg at beginning of new session) and progressing the children further than the experienced teacher.

You say that the longer someone has been teaching, the better the teacher. Hence, no need for interviews in your world. Simply hire the person with more years teaching "experience". Job done. Or maybe it's not as simple as you like to make out...

6. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

really? lol...you cant accept "areas" as an alternative to "topics"? I used areas to include other times when they need to use number skills, because number does exist outside the maths classroom. If you can't see that, then I can't help you ;-)

7. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

There is no mention that the video was filmed by trained professionals. With your logic we should assume that it wasn't?

8. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

There's also no mention that they used professional quality cameras to record the video, so we can assume they didn't.

9. Vince_Ulam

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Of course it's Jaden - we are told it is Jaden - and he looks uncomfortable.

How could you know the teacher was not looking at the pictures as she spoke? Did you make the video?

She is talking about Jaden and we get shots of Jaden. Other students are named - we get shots of them. Are you telling us that no child in that video is who we are told?
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

You assume there has been no objection, and assume an objection is sufficient to effect a takedown.

10. Vince_Ulam

'Area' is a topic in maths.

11. Teaching seems to be one of the few professions, or indeed amongst jobs generally, where experience increasingly counts for nothing. I have no wish to be a manager in a school or a DfE consultant, so I say this without any side.

The point I was trying to make was more or less the one Googolplex made about seeing schools in different contexts. For a short time I worked as an AST, I never saw the position as being one of going to tell colleagues 'what to do' but more one of working cooperatively with them. It was a real privilege to see how some people worked in very challenging situations, I learned a great deal during that time, and hope that in return I also contributed back.

I fail to see how someone with 3 years experience will have been able to pick up the experience of extended periods working in schools in different contexts. Naturally, I've come across experienced colleagues who are not as strong as they might be, and to a lesser extent new teachers who are very talented. That being said, I stand by my the idea that experience is important if looking at a national level. Teachers that are no doubt legends at one school might well fail miserably elsewhere but they don't know that one way or the other because they have never had the chance to try.

Would this happen in other professions? It's an honest question that I don't know the answer to but I suspect not.

12. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

Vince, is there really any need for personal insults?

13. Vince_Ulam

It is more than a little tedious to be repeatedly told that I 'assume' things the evidence for which I initially demonstrated.

14. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

Someone disagrees with you so you hurl insults..nice.

15. Vince_Ulam

Insults come in many guises. It's not simply that you disagreed with me but that you ignored the evidence disproving your charge against me and then merrily repeated the charge. Don't make with the crocodile tears now.

16. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

No tears. No charges. Simply giving you an alternative view based on my experience with professional video clips. Funny how you blurt about experience being important until someone with more experience in the area (just to be clear, not mathematical area lol) of video production chips in. You choose to ignore my comments on how professional videos are made and the comment by another poster backing it up. I'm not ignoring your evidence but trying to open your mind to a possible alternative. By the way your evidence is based on supposition whether you like it or not, as you have no idea about the background to this video being made. You entered the fray with tabloidesque headlines and "public outrage" based on supposition. I tried to offer a different view based on different assumptions. You then spat out your dummy. I can see what you are saying and understand your viewpoint but I don't agree with it and won't lose sleep over it. I will, however lose sleep over the fact that a teacher resorts to personal insults when someone disagrees with him. Doesn't look good in a public forum with parents and children viewing it.

17. Vince_Ulam

I do not care if you are Steven Spielberg, your experience making videos here counts for nothing against the evidence shown.

18. Bensusan

Bensusan New commenter

Lol. Unbelievable.