1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yorkshire Pudding Recipes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by FollyFairy, Dec 18, 2011.

1. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Try:250g plain flour
    1 level tsp salt
    4 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
    300ml milk
    2 tbsp olive oil
    Whisk lots and lots till frothy! This with the oil very hot should do it! Gas Mark 7 by the way. Good luck! xx

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

You're using the right ingredients, possibly more flour and milk than you need. For four highly risen yorkshires I'd use a heaped tablespoon of plain flour, two eggs and enough milk to make a moderately thick batter along with whatever seasoning I like. Divide this equally into the four compartments which virtually fills each of them.
    Yorkshire batter rises by the steam that created. My guess is you didn't add enough batter to each compartment. A Tablespoon is too small. Use a ladle.
    Part of the trick in getting yorkshires to rise is making sure the fat you put the batter in is really hot. If you take the pan out of the oven, the moment you add the cold batter, you cool it very quickly because the pans don't usually have much thermal capacity.
    Try heating the fat in the muffin tray, or whatever you call it, directly on the hob, add the batter when it's almost starting to smoke and then put it in the hot oven.
    A word of warning though, a couple of weeks ago I did this, but because I have a useless left hand now, I managed to drop the lot trying to open the oven with my good hand. No harm done, but what a mess to clear up.

3. Thanks for the tips. Going to have another go tomorrow, fingers crossed I get it right this time.

4. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

The other alternative is, of course, to use good old Aunt Bessies!! Never fails! ;) xx

5. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I use 1 egg, 250 mls of milk and a good scoop of flour, plus a half teaspoon of salt and a little pepper. If I make toad in the hole, I double this but usually have enough leftover to make a pancake or 2!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes, as others have said you need more eggs.
    Secondly, modelmaker mentioned poor heat retaining capacity of modern tins. Go to Lakeland. They do the most amazing yorkie tin that holds the heat AND makes the best yorkies ever. My tip is have oven on its very hottest setting, when puds have risen lower temp to 210C and leave puds to, literally, dry out for another 10 mins. This stops them collapsing.
    As for Aunt Bessies........[​IMG]

7. Being a Yorkshire lass this is how I do them...
    200g of plain flour, 4 eggs, pinch of salt and pepper, About 1/4 pint of milk (you need roughly equal amounts of milk to egg, oil

Put your eggs and milk into a bowl and beat, then add the flour, salt and pepper. The mixture needs to be quite thick. Leave the mixture covered in the kitchen for an hour or so...this allows it to get to room temperature and also rests the mixture. Give a quick stir then put oil in tins and heat until smoking hot...I do about 230 degrees C. Put batter into tins but not too much...if you put too much in the bottom will be squidgy and you will cool the oil down too much. Fill about half full. Put in the oven and watch they don't stick to the top they will rise sooo much. Do not keep opening the door, leave for about 10-15 minutes depending on the size of your tins. When done I take mine out of the tins and give them a couple of minutes upside down in the oven. You end up with delicious, light, crispy puds. Oh and DO NOT WASH YOUR TINS! Just a quick wipe with some kitchen roll. Keep the same tins just for Yorkshires. They will never stick.

8. Umm, they rose perfectly this time but tasted too eggy. Hopefully third time lucky! Got the job though so my luck is def on the up!

9. BelleDuJour

Now that does sound good.........but I'd still give the chillies a miss. I could be wrong so would be interested to hear how they turn out.

10. BelleDuJour

That sounds awesome!

11. I've started to use muffin tins to put my yorkie batter in. I fill each hole 3/4 to the top and they rise beautifully.