1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yorkshire pudding recipe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bumchuckle, Feb 20, 2012.

1. bumchuckle

bumchuckle Occasional commenter

My parents were English and I have childhood memories of eating this with our roast. Try to make it from an online recipe the other day and it just didn't turn out how I remember it. Can someone post a recipe they have used?

2. bumchuckle

My parents were English and I have childhood memories of eating this with our roast. Try to make it from an online recipe the other day and it just didn't turn out how I remember it. Can someone post a recipe they have used?

3. I use 2 tablespoons of plain flour to one egg and "some" milk. I would use this for 2/ 3 people. For 4 /5 people, I would double the eggs and flour.
    Basic method:
    Whisk egg (s), stir in flour, then add milk until a smooth consistency is achieved, It's hard to explain the consistency. The amount of milk varies according to egg size etc. I just do it by sight/ feel - not too thick, not too runny!
    Preheat oven to around 180- 200 degrees C. (I've found it varies on the oven i use)
    Put a small amount of oil in the dish you will cook it in, place in oven to heat. After 5/10 mins, add the batter mix to the heated oil and cook for approx 20 mins until golden and well risen.
    Usually this works well. It's how my Mum has always made Yorkshires and consequently how I learnt to.
    Sorry it's a bit vague in the quantities, much of my mums' cooking is from the "that looks about right" style, rather than strict following of recipes. Hope this helps.

4. I meant dessert spoons, not tablespoons. I tried to edit the post, but TES wouldn't co-operate!

5. Its taken a good many years for me to be successful in the yorkshire pudding department.
    Mary Berry's recipe adapted to suit me.
    4oz plain flour.
    7 fl oz milk.
    3 eggs
    Big bowl for mixing.
    Good whisk
    Time, this should be at the top actually because I make the batter well in advance.
    I throw everything in the bowl, often literrally.
    Think of something annoying or enraging and mix like billyo.
    When puffed out, put the bowl aside with the whisk in the bowl.
    Faf about with other things
    Return to the bowl to whisk like billyo when something annoying springs to mind.
    I like to think of the starch things in the flour bursting over the time span.
    Do this several times.
    The mixture should become very well mixed and fluid.

About half an hour before serving, heat up a 12 hole bun tin, with quite a good dollop of oil in each hole.
    Must be very hot to receive the batter.
    Prepare to act as if a fenzy........
    take out hot tin, smoking is good.
    Whisk the batter for a final time ........
    Pour into each hole, to the top of each hole.
    Dribbles make a mess but that matters later.
    Shove back in the oven ...... try not to open the oven for a while, or the rising beauties will flop
    Leave to cook about 15 - 20 mins .........
    might need to reduce heat to make a good cook through ....... otherwise they can be a bit soft in the middle.

6. Here's my method:
    Take a transparent jug and break four good sized eggs into it. Look where the eggs come up to.
    Tip eggs into mixing bowl.
    Fill jug with milk up to the point the eggs came to.
    Transfer to mixing bowl.
    Rinse and dry jug, the fill up to the same level with plain flour.
    Now whisk mixture with a teaspoon of salt added.
    Reserve for at least 30minutes.
    In the meantime, set oven to hottest possible setting.
    Once it is up to temperature, place yorkshire pudding tin, with a little bit of lard in each section, in the oven, until smoke comes off the pan.
    Whisk mixture again.
    Quickly remove from oven and as quickly as possible, spoon mixture equally between 12 puddings.
    Pop back into hot oven. Turn oven down to 200.
    DO NOT open oven during cooking time, which varies depending on your oven: 30 minutes (ish).

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Delia Smith's recipe has never failed me and the addition of water to the recipe contributes to the crisp outer shell.
    3 ozs plain flour
    pinch od salt.
    1 egg
    3fluid ounces milk
    2 fluid ounces water
    Sift flour and salt. Crack egg into centre, add a little of the milk/water mixture and whisk (I use a balloon whisk but you can beat with a wooden spoon). Gradually add the rest of the liquid until you have a smooth batter. Set aside in the fridge for at elast 30 minutes.
    I have a vegetarian in the family so no longer use lard in the bun trays. I use olive oil, putting about a teaspoon of oil in each section of the bun tin(enough to cover the base at least). Heat on about 220 degrees until sizzling hot and starting to smoke. Quickly pour in the batter. If it doesn't sizzle when added, the fat is not hot enough. Back in the oven for 12-15 minutes. If doing one large pudding, allow about 40 minutes.
    I always make a double mixture as we all love them!

8. Here's my recipe, open freezer and get out a packet of Aunt Bessies yorkshire puddings, bung in hot oven for 4 minutes, perfect every time!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Coincidentally I made my first ever toad in the hole last week and used Delia's yorkshire batter recipe. The toad in the hole was a roaring success and I'll be making it again along with Delia's recipe for onion gravy which I didn't attempt.

10. Muffin trays are deeper than bun tins...... dont use a muffin tray. Any flatish baking tin would do but you would end up with a big pud that had to be cut to share out.
    Think ........... jam tarts. Check out the bakeware departments.
    They dont last long for me. The batter may stick, particularly if the tin is not super smooth. So the puddings may need help/hacking out. This scratches the tin, so will not be so good for next time.
    I tend to buy cheap and prepare to throw away.

11. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Sounds like my mum. I rang her to get the recipe some years ago and she said "Eggs, flour and milk and a bit of salt" I told her I knew that but how much of them? She said "I don't know, till it looks right"
    I think the key is to let the batter rest in the fridge for 20-30 mins before cooking and to get the fat nice and hot.

12. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I used a muffin tin the other day and they came out great, Really big and crisp on the outside with a slightly soggy bottom - just how I like them! The kids filled theirs with gravy then devoured them.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My Delia recipe is UK fluid ounces (20 fl.oz = I pint).
    Not as deep as a muffin tin. My other use of the tin is for cupcakes.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've been using my bun tin for 20 years at least and it wasn't an expensive one. It's got a brown, shiny coating on the metal so hasn't rusted. All my bakeware is put in a hot oven to fully dry off after being washed, before being stored away.

15. bumchuckle

Well, I didn't even know that imperial measurements differed. I just assumed UK & USA are the same and the rest of the world are metric.
    (I googled and a fluid ounce is a smidge under 30mls)
    think I might start with the pennyrichardson's jug recipe - transcends the measurement barriers[​IMG]

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've considered buying some of the smooth sided larger pieces but won't by the fluted ones, especially not the cupcake/muffin silicone mouls.
    I've had pupils bringing them in in Food tech and then abandoning some of them when they scoff the cakes before leaving and can't get the moulds clean. I've had a go myself at cleaning them and it would take ages to prise out all the food debris. Paper cases in metal trays every time! I actually have large versions of cupcake cases for use in sandwich tins and oblong ones for cakes done in loaf tins. It saves greasing/flouring/greaseproof paper cutting and the trays just need a quick wipe with a cloth before storage.