1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yootha Joyce/Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Yeh I know it's a bit of a waste of a thread but flicking through the channels tonight I came across the lamentable George And Mildred, which for younger readers was a dire 70s spin-off sitcom.
    Can't think how I never noticed the likeness before!
    [​IMG]

2. Bloody hell Lil, I saw George and Mildred yesterday and was totally depressed when I spotted she had a dress on that I used to have.
    Am I really that old, yeeeeessssssI bloody am.

3. Good god you're right!
    I KNEW Amy reminded me of someone!
    Never saw the fascination with "George and Mildred", I have to say. And it was on ITV so I wasn't allowed to watch it anyway.
    Still feel sad about Amy Winehouse. What a voice.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Me too. There was a lovely 'tribute' evening to her on BBC4 recently (do not axe BBC4 you swines!!!!), where they replayed some of her finest BBC appearences and I had to have a wee cry, because she was so fabulous.

5. I agree and I saw the programme and DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT AXING BBC4!!!
    She was a mess emotionally/psychologically whatever but WOW her voice gives me chills.

6. I understand that the preliminary toxicology report found no illegal substances in her body, only alcohol. How much would you have to sink to actually die, do you know? I daresay her body was not in tip-top condition given all the **** she put in it.

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Given that she had a lengthy history of hard drug abuse, she smoked like a train and had been diagnosed with emphysema, her poor, thin body had maybe just had enough. Who knows.
    Massive loss.

8. Not sure exactly how much but it's not as much as we may think and I suppose given her history and, as you say, the state of her poor emaciated body, it wouldn't take much.

9. inq

inq

Yootha Joyce also died due to problems with excessive alcohol consumption.

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So that's at least two of us who watch it then..

if they axe Beeb 4 I might as well take the telly back to the shop.

11. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Three, magic!

12. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

13. As far as I am aware she was not taking 'hard drugs', but I suppose may have been taking prescription drugs/sleeping pills. However she was drinking a bottle of spirits a day at then end, I think it was vodka. She was a fantastically talented actress. Actually I think the movie spinoff (1980) of George and Mildred was pretty good, if you like the 70s spin off comedy films, such as On the Buses, Steptoe and Son, Bless Our House, Porridge, and Love Your Neighbours.