1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yoof of 2020s lingo.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 27, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

What will be the slang of 2020s yoof (2010s include blaze, beg, banter, blud, fam, tool etc!)?

'Syn bin!' An exclamation of where an activity is not 'interactive' enough and you cannot 'synergise' with it so it ought to go in the bin.

'Googley eyes' - One who wears iLenses.

'da ____ ting' (insert name of major city.) Massive online gaming tournaments where anyone can enter worldwide regardless of ability (a bit like the FA cup for football) launch in 2020 hence 'w00t syn da jing ting' is 'We did well in the Beijing tournament,

'Alpha Male' - Someone who was born into, and fits perfectly into, Generation Alpha.

'Pretro' -Part Retro. Used to describe 'middling; consoles like the PS3, not quite old school but not exactly up to date.

'2020 vision' Someone who wears the iLens.

2. scienceteachasghost

and quickly 'Pret a manger' - a semi Luddite who won't engage with the latest technology

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

All incomprehensible. At least in our day our slang wasn't a barrier to understanding.

4. teachingking123

teachingking123 Established commenter

YOLO is one that students always say every day (You Only Live Once)!

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

2020s slang?

BeGOE - Before Google Owned Everything ("Like wow, you found a BeGOE website? Awesome!")

Napple - any inferior consumer product, ie not made by Apple ("Oh dude, your phone is so napple")

FleshTech - a rarely seen non-robotic school employee ("Looks like they're short of cover teachers again dude, that one looks fleshtech to me.")

Nimplant - a mobile communication gadget that you carry outside your body. ("Oh wow, your music player is a nimplant - I so luuurve retro stuff like that".)

"And I was like.." - Prefix to any impersonation of old people reminiscing, ie when taking the P out of your gran.

monicabilongame and Dunteachin like this.
  6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I never hear any of this stuff at my rinky-dinky Leafy-Lane Academy!

8. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Will there be translation tools?

9. scienceteachasghost

MSB - loving some of your ideas! PS does anyone hear my '2010s' slang in schools (although I am aware that 'tools' existed in the Noughties and already calling someone a 'tool' is a bit yesterday!

10. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Face-to-facer: and older person who still talks to people with whom they are in close proximity.

11. scienceteachasghost

A few more -

Ha$htag Tw££t - an ITV ad that comes on during peak times rewarding read out tweets from those using the new v02fone (when Vodafone and 02 merge) - prizes peak at £10k per tweet.

LiQ - 'like you' - a new app that matches people from a comprehensive personality quiz (friends and partners.) Will rapidly kill off Tinder. Will give rise to a language of its own:-

'Sheepcore' - the median position of the personality dimensions where most people congregate.
    'Wilds Jockey/Xtrema' - the opposite of a 'Sheepcorer.'
    LiQsesh - a meeting for people who score closely on LiQ
    LiQ lowbie - a friend who you you don't actually have much in common with, according to liQ.

12. scienceteachasghost

'Wi Nie' - Somewhere there ISNT Wi-Fi eg. 'All year 7 climbing the Cairngorms be aware that some of the route is 'Wi Nie'

13. scienceteachasghost

'Pretouck' (pre 2K.) - An old person/Anyone who was actually alive before 2000.

14. yfel_endwerce

Notes this and rephrases the earlier question
    "Will there be translation apps?" :rolleyes::D

I am like so last century

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

By 2020?

Jobs... a mythical thing people used to do before the Second Great Recession.

16. scienceteachasghost

I also think that 'hashtag' will quickly (in a way it is already) mean 'I am' such as 'Hashtag embarrassed' meaning 'I am embarrassed.' Or people will put 'tag' onto the end of words (particularly rhyming with hash) to mean they are doing something like:- 'At Becky's House for the weekend crashtag'

17. yfel_endwerce