1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yoga testimonials?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by ironic_lettuce, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I keep meaning to start some kind of yoga in order to reduce the often overwhelming feelings of anxiety that I feel, which then leads to depression and more stress! I find it hard to push myself to do this kind of thing at home, so as of next week I'm going to take up a class two times a week not far from where I live.
    But I was just wondering if anyone here does it, and if they felt any benefit from it? If I hear encouraging stories from others, I'm much more likely to start and stick to it!!

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Yoga can be wonderfully relaxing and also benefits the posture and muscle tone. I dont do it at the moment but should restart mainly to retain my flexibility and stamina. There are different kinds of yoga eg Hatha and Iyengar and some classes are more 'dymamic' than others so try dofferent instructors of you aren't sure it is for you. Hope you enjoy it.

3. I found Pilates and Mindfulness meditation (check out the book The Mindful Way Through Depression) far more beneficial to my depression than yoga. Yoga didn't suit me at all.

4. I've been doing at least 10 mins of yoga every day for at least 5 days a week ever since being signed off last year with stress. Not only have I found it really helpful in managing my levels of anxiety (in conjunction with other things recommended by the GP), but I've also dropped a dress size and got toned up as a bonus!
    I highly recommend it! I use the Barbara Currie Yoga videos and DVDs (I think that she teaches hatha yoga) but what you're doing is far more sensible! I'd do the same if I could afford it!

HTH and enjoy!

5. I did yoga last year during my NQT and it soo helped me! It really calmed my anxieties and keep my depression at bay. It is just the best thing to do after a tough day, plus you do some 'poses' at home when you've had a **** day but haven't got a class that day.
    Go and start. if you don't get on with the class structure or the teacher or something, don't write off yoga, try another one that suits you better.

6. Teafrog79

Teafrog79 New commenter

I love it and I wouldn't miss my Monday yoga night whereas I am not sure I would be able to motivate myself to go to the gym several times a week.

7. Thanks guys, I'll definitely try and get involved in some :)
    I need to go to classes, I wouldn't have the discipline to do it at home!

8. Nor have I sometimes, which is when I decide to give myself the day off! [​IMG]