1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yoga/Pilates/Yogalates anyone actually enjoy them?!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

So I tried Yoga and then Pilates, and tonight may even give Yogalates a go. Does anyone actually enjoy these things? I find it soooooo dull and boring I cannot even last a full hour class. I try to concentrate on my breathing and my core and my individual vertebrates but to no joy.
    Trying to get into it to improve my flexibility, and because it is supposed to be really good for you, so far I am yet to be convinced!

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

So I tried Yoga and then Pilates, and tonight may even give Yogalates a go. Does anyone actually enjoy these things? I find it soooooo dull and boring I cannot even last a full hour class. I try to concentrate on my breathing and my core and my individual vertebrates but to no joy.
    Trying to get into it to improve my flexibility, and because it is supposed to be really good for you, so far I am yet to be convinced!

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I think you would probably enjoy Body Balance classes. It's a mixture of yoga, pilates and tai-chi moves set to music (really good music too). It definitely improves your posture, balance and is both invigorating and calming.
    I absolutely love it!

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

5. Ive been doing yoga for a while and i must admit it does have its benefits, have tried pilates too much to think about with that one, like you - breathing, vertebrates ect. Have not tried Yogalates sounds more like a coffee! I stick with the yoga do it for an hour and im sweating! Definatley improves posture i think with these holistic workouts its all to do with the inside so the external benefits are not really seen straight away. Hope this helps! Good luck with the Yogalates!

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I really enjoy meditation - it was something my parents were both big on when I was younger and something that I have just carried on because it is one of the times when I can be completely calm and have no distractions.
    Don't know that much about yoga/pilates/the other one. It's never appealed to me.

7. I used to go regularly to Yoga and loved it. When I moved, I found another class that was a mix of Yoga and Pilates and I quite liked that too - but it quickly became very overcrowded and I stopped going.
    I'm looking for another class to start now though, New Year Resolutions and all.

8. Also tried Tai Chi - hated it.

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I love yoga and pilates but for me the thing is to find a pretty challenging class as some are way too mellow and slow. As mentioned already, it helps if there is a great soundtrack to listen to.

11. I hate yoga- I find it so dull.... I much prefer high-energy workouts with some fast music, I find slow music dull too

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

You have to have mental calmness for yoga otherwise you are wasting your time. Find a different form of exercise that involves flexibilty such as dance.

13. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I like Body Balance also. A combination of yoga and pilates moves to music. Very difficult at times and you can really notice the difference. I also do fast pace aerobics and body toning classes. A combination of exercise is good for both body and soul.[​IMG]

14. I don't think I have ever had mental calmness so yoga isn't for me. I did manage some meditation which I quite enjoyed, and I quite like the stretching bit at the end of aerobics... I am quite flexible so it is a shame I don't enjoy yoga.

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Why feel that way?
    Not everyone is the same and there are plenty of other activities that you can do that require flexibility. Dance and some types of martial art are examples.

16. I don't know really, I feel it would help my mental calmness! I quite like the idea of being able to balance in all sorts of funny positions [​IMG]
    I would like to maintain my flexibility. I would like to take up Karate again as I LOVED that.

17. I think Pilates and Yoga depend hugely on the quality of the teaching. I like Pilates, and over the years and enjoyed some Yoga classes and hated others. I find Pilates really relaxing and don't notice how hard I've worked til the next day.

Oh yes, and I 'sleep the sleep of a thousand glorious angels' after Pilates. (Where's TTL to back me up on this? the only drawback to pilates is that she makes me giggle when we use the magic circles, or giant diaphragms as she calls them)

18. I'm starting Pilates to night. Really been looking forward to it. Now I'm worried I'll find it dead dull. Paid for the whole 7 weeks up front :S
    Wish me luck

19. Try Body Balance for the hour after Combat or Attack. Much more enjoyable if you are warmed up.

20. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Our local place doesn't do it. Will have a look if anywhere does though thanks [​IMG]