1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yey! 3 weeks of work...but... inspection!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by dominant_tonic, Feb 16, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

hi All.
    I have got three weeks of work covering for a second in dept in a comp just 20 minutes away :)
    Awesome, primarily because maybe I will get a more long term post there, or failing that, at least a valid up-to-date reference.
    problem - they are having an inspection after half term - I am scared. What will that mena for me in as a a 3 weeks supply person - and what can do I do to make it easier for the HoD? (referecnce).
    I have never undergone an inspection so have no idea. ANy thoughts gratefully received!
    Thanks,
    domton

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, congratulations!
    They must really belive in your abilities, if they've deliberately asked for you, knowing they're going to be inspected.
    Not much knowldge of the 'current specs' for Ofsted, apparently these changed recently (about Christmas time?).
    When you go in to school, ask the HoD, if the inspection is likely to concentrate on paper work or teaching (or both or something else) and what you can do to help 'ease the strain'.
    Best of luck with it!
    Anecdotally, it can't be any worse than my last inspection, when I walked into a class and found a fellow supply already there! Went to check with the office and 'it was an oversight', so told to go back and 'support'.
    Found my fellow supply trying to understand the lesson notes,and not doing very well. (Not the best of notes. Drama lesson to 'read through the play! Children know what they're doing!
    Neither of us were familiar with the play, so I suggested the other supply did the intro. asking the children what they knew about the greeks/characters etc, then we tried doing some acting out front as i was quite happy with Drama and I would do a quick plenary at the end.) Just our luck, to have the Inspector walk in at that point! Must have looked like complete 'numpties'. Insepector then knelt down next to the child I'd already identified as'one to watch' and asked"!Do you understand what you're doing?" !

3. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Sorry, no advice - just wanted to add my congratulations[​IMG]!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Available from Amazon - and No, I don't get a cut for recommending this!
    It tells you how to prepare for observed lessons, including Ofsted. Might be useful! You can look inside it on the Amazon site to see if it seems helpful to you.
    [​IMG]
    Very very best of luck! They really have confidence in you, to take you on at Ofsted time.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com