1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another observation...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by bedingfield, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

The school I am in is currently under scrutiny by the LA and we are constantly being monitored, scrutinised and generally not left alone to get on with the job. I have so far had 4 full lesson observations this year (non performance related) with only one of them with prior notice. Having had bad experiences with bullying/ targetted observations in my last school I am constantly on edge (even though all of the observations in this school have been good with no major areas for improvement) and am now getting regular stress headaches and struggling to sleep.
    This week a notice has gone up in the staff room announcing that again there will be observations through out the week. No notice of which member of staff when and no indication of the focus. Another teacher asked for confirmation of whether these were drop-ins or learning walks and were told that they are one-hour observations throughout the school to the new Ofsted criteria.
    I am now once again a nervous wreck. It's not that my lessons aren't planned and prepared in readiness, but the thought of SMT walking in unannounced just fills me with dread. I know I am a good teacher and I love my job, but these observations keep triggering flashbacks of my previous school. It has been suggested to me by a friend that I should perhaps consider CBT to help, but I find it hard to admit that I am failing to cope. I love my job, especially when you realise that you have really made a difference to a child's learning, but I am wondering if it would be better to get out now and find an alternative career. I get the feeling that this sort of thing is happening in most schools and is almost impossible to get away from.
    I'm dreading tomorrow, but also hoping that they come and get it over and done with until the next time.
    Sorry for the rant. I just need to vent.

2. sending lots of sympathy your way. Sorry I can't say anything more useful.

3. bedingfield

Thank you crab apple. It is appreciated.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Your feelings on LOs are shared by many, the most relaxed teachers are those who don't feel management are out to get them. I blogged on this issue a while back here. Sad to say the new regulations and model appraisal policy which schools can adopt if they wish will serve to make matters even worse......

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Any time I have even the slightest doubts about the sheer bogus nature of lesson observations, I go becktonboy's blog, which I find refreshing and succinct.

6. bedingfield

Just had a look at the blog and it really sums it up.
    Thanks for that.
    Well, no visit today. Will wait and see what tomorrow brings...
    Why can't we be treated like grown ups and simply be told when we're being observed?