1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another Meeting not on calendar...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by paperbin, Nov 12, 2018.

1. paperbin

paperbin New commenter

Just got notification, today, of a meeting next week that 'all KS4 teachers must attend.'

Its a celebration thing to give out awards to some of last years high flyers. 5pm. So no point in going home to come back.

It was not on the calendar for directed time, and only just over a week's notice. It probably wont finish until about 7pm. We also have meetings scheduled 2 other days next weeks, only shortish ones, but still, taking the Michael or what? This is in addition to 3 meetings after school this week. Not a happy bunny! Advice?

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Find a pressing ‘subsequent engagement’ which makes it impossible for you to attend. Dentist, boiler repair man, book club, grandmother’s tea party? Remember: You’re SO sorry... if ONLY they could have told you about the meeting SOONER... After all, that’s why we have a calendar published at the start of the year, isn’t it?

They’ll soon learn.

3. Fleecyblanket

Fleecyblanket New commenter

Just say you can't attend.

4. install

install Star commenter

Union.

Don't go - its 'too short notice' and you do not have to give a reason other than that. Someone messed up on the Calendar. These kind of events used to be voluntary and often involve alot of standing around and clapping.

5. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 Occasional commenter

If it was not on the calendar at the beginning of the year. You’re well within your right to predispose yourself to a commitment, as long as its after your school day

6. install

install Star commenter

It happened to me a couple of years ago . The management took the mick because they knew they had messed up. And they had to attend - although I later heard later that some didn't..I just didn't attend without saying anything.

I was asked afterwards and I said 'it was too short notice for me'. Upon being asked again 'where I was', I again replied 'it was too short notice for me'.

Needless to say it went on the Calendar the next year round:cool:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Not during the school day?
    Not in the directed-time budget?

Voluntary.

That is all.

I wouldn't even tell them you're not attending.

Next day. "Not at the event? No. ....... Why not? What do you mean? Obviously it wasn't and couldn't be compulsory what with not being on the calendar etc etc so I didn't go. What with me doing other things and having a life etc." And smile.

8. livingstone83

livingstone83 Occasional commenter

Don't go.

And what's more, there'll be a lot of other people that don't want to go either. You should encourage them not to.

We have this odd thing in teaching whereby we (well, most - not me as such, often unfortunately) don't want to be seen to be rabble-rousing.
    Having worked in other jobs, careers, industries.... this wouldn't fly at all. It wouldn't even be asked. Either you or somebody else needs to take the responsibility of organising the staff on this. I'm not talking a wholesale revolution, just a staff room chat about what your other commitments are that evening.
    If this is allowed, it sends a message to the younger teachers that this is what the job is like - and when they make up the majority of the workforce (if they don't already) then this will happen far more frequently.
    Worse still, when these younger ones are next years SLT, this kind of thing won't even occur to them to be unfair.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s so important to have caring responsibilities. If you don’t have children you probably have elderly relatives in sheltered accommodation who require support. Unfortunately, these wonderful bunbaries are most unhelpful when you are required by schools to attend short notice meetings.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Take the advice above...'Just say "no"';)

agathamorse likes this.
  11. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

SMT failed one of their easy PM Targets putting the school calendar together thus no pay big pay increase this year.

I f they are not up to the job ,put them on capability.;)

12. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Why not have an 'embarrassing' disease? I was once off with colitis. No-one wanted to discuss it when I got back. Although I did insist on telling a couple of the dragons how severe it had been - 'not too bad, but I just never know when I am going to have to rush to the toilet. I've done some marking but wasn't well enough to teach, in case I had to suddenly run out of class.'
    This illness, which maybe you could just hint at, probably means that you have to attend a doctor or clinic regularly after school. I once knew a teacher with a bad back. Real. However, he regularly had to miss meetings and have time off due to doctor's appointments. I am not sure that all of them were real. He had his own small business on the side and his bad back was particularly bad round about Christmas - which happened to be a busy time for his business.
    People never want to know details of bowels, womens' problems and anything 'yukky'.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I like your style @saluki That's funny.

But one caveat.

What @install and @livingstone83 said.

We shouldn't be explaining or apologising or lying or making excuses.

"Thanks for letting me know. I won't be coming. Thanks for inviting me though."

We aren't kids and we don't have to claim the dog ate our homework. We're adults and should be honest.

• I didn't feel like it.
    • It was my night looking after the kids while the missus does marathon fitness.
    • I think we should do this stuff in an assembly instead.
    • I'm knackered. I already do a 60 hour week.
    • It's not in my contract so I don't do that stuff.
    • Maybe next time. I'll see how I feel.
    • Don't you think we work hard enough already?
    • Do you think staff morale is good at the moment? Does this sort of thing improve it? What do you reckon?
    All or any of that. I know lots of people are too scared to speak up. Mortgages, mouths to feed, natural desire to please and blend in. But those of who aren't? Let's stand up for ourselves and for our colleagues. Nicely. But firmly.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'd go one step further than not going, I'd actually get back to them and say "Oi! Late notice much! I am so gutted!"
    Because you have bothered to come here and tell us about it, and point out the wrong of it.
    We cannot change it. We can advise you what to do in response, but we cannot do anything about this happening repeatedly, and as much as you can simply not go without legitimate consequence, would it not be nicer to have them realise they ought not to be doing this?
    It's quite a nice thing to do, awarding the high fliers, and that point has been glossed over in the previous responses.
    So actually, the fact of you not going, and others too no doubt, is a shame. For the recipients of the awards who might have liked you to be there.
    So the constructive thing to do is to explain that many staff would surely love to be there if the meeting were pre planned, put on the calendar and were in accordance with directed time limits.
    Tell them you really hope they can manage this for the next such event, as it will "enable" you to attend, and provide a richer experience for the students in question.
    Tell them not us.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  15. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It's true that it's nice to award high flyers. But it's pretty tough on the students who work their b*tts off and don't get top grades, but middle ones - which is a triumph for them. That's not such fun.
    I used to be "invited" to such meetings, and have to go, day off or not (I KNOW!) and often not one of the students getting an award was anyone whom I taught. Monumental waste of my time.

16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

How can you possibly go when you already have a dentist appointment booked for 16.30? Which you very carefully arranged to be outside of school hours.

On second thoughts no, no excuses. Just say no, insist on more notice next time.

17. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I know you did not mean it to come off this way, but it made me laugh,

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

LOL:D

madcatlady and agathamorse like this.
  19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I would like to claim it's because the HoD kept all the top sets for herself, but I fear that @ridleyrumpus may have seen the truth...;)

Pomza, blazer, madcatlady and 2 others like this.
  20. Dyathinkhesaurus

Dyathinkhesaurus New commenter

Silence is golden. It's nobody's business how you spend your free time. You don't owe anyone an explanation or have to account for your absence.