1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another kindle thread

Discussion in 'Book club' started by anon3372, May 1, 2011.

1. Ok, so having been opposed to it for like, forever, I noticed my sister had one and tried it and am enthused.
    The other threads go right over my head so could somebody tell me:
    What a kindle costs (I need to compare the German price)?
    How much I can download for free? (100 books or summat?)
    What it costs to download stuff you pay for?
    How many books can you archive on amazon?
    Can you download from elsewhere?
    I realise these are stupid questions for those of you who are kindle freaks, but I am a real beginner and still need a bit of convincing.

2. HI CQ,

I have a 3G one. I was really sceptical at first, but tried my Mum's and now |I love it. She took her's to Egypt with her and downloaded books for free out there - no internet charges or anything.
    You download most books from Amazon. As you are in Germany just use the amazon.co.uk site, and you will be able to download English books. There are lots of free books and even more to buy which start about 69p! There is a free program called Calibre you can download, and this will convert PDF files to kindle (mobi) format to use on your kindle. I had the twilight saga in pdf, and it converted the whole lot in minutes! if you look on the web you can find lots of pdf books out there.
    Hope that helps a bit!

3. PS, I've downloaded about 200 books andstill have 2900MB free!

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

£111 or £150+
    As much as you like, just find the "free" books, by typing "-domain" in the search thingy on amazon or by looking at the free websites provided by theo.
    After you've paid for the book the download is free (remember that it will use some of your internet allowance - if you have a limit?)
    Not sure sorry - ask theo.
    yes, theo posted a list on the other kindle thread and I'll post a link in a mo.
    We were all beginners once and have all learnt to use one over time.
    Finally, don't forget that you can download calibre onto your PC and have it download newspapers and books in other formats to your kindle.
    marshy x

5. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actrually, I have been on my Kindle!
    My internet has died at home. Techies having problems ressucitating it. So I turned to my faithful Kindle 3G which doesn´t need wifi and have been answering on the Forum on that! Pecking away very slowly. Making lots of errors. And it is so small, even when enlarged, that I didn´t see that you had started this new Kindle thread, CQ.
    Sorry!
    But a Kindle isn´t designed for internet use, so the very fact that you can use it at all is a big bonus in an emergency.
    Yes, you can buy books only from Amazon, and then they send them straight to your Kindle through the air. It´s like magic. You are sitting on the train, fancy a new book, switch on your kindle, browse the shop, click and buy and get it in less than a minute. You need 3G for that, as there´s no wifi on any British trains; Germany may be better.
    However, as other people have said, you can get books for free from lots of other sources. Millions of them. You do need to be careful about the copyright, however, with some sites. I believe that it´s all OK on the sites I have in that link above.
    Amazon also puts books at no price from time to time. If you sign up with this website: jungle-search.com they send you an e-mail with today´s freebies. Some are actually very good. Some are awful, but at 0.0p who´s complaining?
    Best thing I ever bought.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. Thank you for all your help!
    I am very tempted now [​IMG]

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I got this free yesterday. I've just started it and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, particularly as I've been to Pondicherry and can visualise it.

I looked it up again today with the intention of passing the information on to my Dad and it's already gone up to £3 something. You really do have to check every day.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There is no limit to the books you can own. The Kindle connects to a PC by USB and you can treat it like a flash drive and load and unload to its max anytime. The fascinating amount of free books on the gutenberg project website would keep me going for ever -if I could ever get my OH to put the thing down for me to read that is!