1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another cat query!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, Jul 16, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Last week, I noticed that one of my cats seemed to have a bump at the base of his tail and he flinched when I touched it. I took him to the vets who felt his tail and said it was probably due to some kind of trauma, and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection. Last night, puss was licking his tail and I noticed that there was a sore there and it was sticky. Now I'm worried that he had had an abcess all along, which the vet misdiagnosed, and that he needed an antibiotic, not an anti inflammatory. Puss seems perfectly well in himself but I think he needs another trip to the vet for a jab to kill off any infection. What would other cat owners do?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It sounds like the absess has burst. He is licking the sore. The anti-bacterial properties of your cats saliva will hopefully stop the infection from speading in the next 36 hours or so. I think Monday will be fine. But, hey, I'm no expert [​IMG], that's just what I would do if i were in your position. If some sort of blood poisoning had set in, you would know all about it.

3. I'm a neurotic pet owner, and always drag them down there asap, regardless of emergency vets only. But then I'm lucky my vet is open to 9 pm every day.

Abcesses can be horrible things, with the infection making kitty feel pretty awful. If it is an abcess, that is.
    If he were mine, I'd not be able to relax until he'd been seen to. Only you can decide - don't you know there is an unwritten law that cats. dogs and other pets must always need veterinary attention late at night, at weekends and Bank Holidays, in order to maximise veterinary revenue?

4. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

As Puss is his usual lively self, eating and bouncing around as normal, I'll book him in on Monday.
    Thanks for the replies!

5. Yes - sounds very much like an abscess. We only noticed with our cat - a male at the time - when it began dripping and he began mewling in pain when he jumped. It was completely hidden at the base of the tail. Cats are very good at coping with pain and so on but you can be sure an abscess will be as painful for him as it would be for you.
    The vet should have spotted the problem.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I would give it a good scrub with warm salt water and open the wound if possible. Once the disgusting gloop is out a twice daily bathe should keep it open and draining. Take to the vet if required after a couple of days.

7. Yuk.
    I'd stick with taking him in on Monday.

8. It might just be an insect bite that puss has 'worried'. If it gets infected you can tell almost instantly by the smell.