1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yet again, I have absolutely no idea what Dr Who is on about.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mandala1, Dec 5, 2015.

1. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Just that really. All I want is a few monsters and a one episode contained story.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I haven't understood much of this series :confused:.

3. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I'm watching it tomorrow...I'll get back to you (once my son has explained it!)

RedQuilt likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

This series is so much better than just bashing monsters. Lots of twists and turns - you really have to pay attention to it. Loving it.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I have found it a bit Christian of late - all that suffering just to prove the hero is worthy.

And I can't be doing with the introspection. Is the Doctor good? Is he really a Bad Man? We know these things by his actions not by tedious monologuing by him and Clara.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Via much technobabble they've ensured Clara can return at some point, and maybe even have a spin-off episode or two with Ishildr. She's been too popular to completely let go of her.

Noja likes this.
  7. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I hadn't thought of it like that but it makes more sense now I have.

Has Clara really been popular? I don't dislike her but there never seemed to be any chemistry between her and the Dr.

Noja likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Been desperately trying to remember back, but didn't we first 'meet' Clara when she 'died' and it turned out she was a download into a computer? Then somehow meta-morphed into a young girl? Or is my memory playing tricks, or was that another companion?
    So being on the last minute of her time would provide a perfect story arc. Her pet name is 'impossible girl' after all.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Reading this thread makes me glad I gave up on the Doctor back in the days of Tom Baker.

cissy3 likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I stopped watching three episodes into this series... something about ghost underwater... got very bored and couldn't be bothered with part two.

11. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I quite liked it

12. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

When I see the ads for it, it reminds me of cyolba.

13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I think Clara turned up as the girl who had been put into a Dalek. She thought she was still a girl but she wasn't and the Doctor had to tell her. Or some such.

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just done a quick search and there were apparently 3 fore-runners to the present Clara the first one being the personality downloaded in to a dalek (so you're right @vannie) called Oswin Oswald. Then there was Clara Oswin Oswald ( a Victorian schoolteacher) who died and finally the present Clara.

15. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

This series has been particularly bad. That one in the flooded valley? Fishy-something? Plot-holes you could drive a Krynoid through. It's just a crappy, chummy writers' vehicle now. Is the Clara-thing dead yet? Please say so. I haven't seen the last three episodes but I don't mind if you tell me. It's impossible to spoil rubbish.

16. Vince_Ulam

I'm fed up with all the girl-who-did-this-that-and-the-other malarkey. I gave up on any kind of continuity after that ginger girl became rubber. Then there's Gallifrey popping in and out of existence every third episode, and what was that thing with John Hurt all about? No idea. I'd lost interest when Eccleston left, frankly. Everything gets worse when Americans become fans. Moffat's just going to ride the show into the ground and then have the BBC sell it to Fox.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    midnight_angel likes this.
  17. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

My kids cheered enthusiastically when Clara died. They were sick of her dominating every episode.

midnight_angel and Vince_Ulam like this.
  18. Vince_Ulam

Good, thank you, and be sure to tell your children that they have excellent taste in story.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  19. NarnianRoyalty

NarnianRoyalty Occasional commenter

Thanks- I will; although it's a bit disconcerting to see a nine year old cheering 'good riddance' (even if she's only a fictional character).

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I still quite liked it