1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yes or No? Don't know which way to vote...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargoyle770, May 5, 2011.

1. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Calm down dear. No need to shout.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

First past the post doesn't necessarily mean that a candidate is elected with a majority of the votes cast. Someone can end up as an MP with only 38% of the votes cast.
    AV at least ensures that the winner has over 50% of voters choosing him/her as their first, second or third choice.
    Av doesn't force you to use all the preference positions. I'd never put UKIP or the BNP in any pecking order, for instance. Those who do vote for those minority parties, though, would still have the chance for their second or third choice to be in the running when their first choice candidate is ejected from the process.
    They finally explained the AV system clearly on the News last night ... a bit too late for it to have an impact.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I'm surprised at the number of posters claiming that AV gives some voters more than one vote. It doesn't. Allvoters have the option of more than one preference but only one of their preferences can be in the final count as all their other preferences have been discounted, not counted!

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

With AV you end up with an MP who is acceptable to a straight majority of the people who cared to vote.

7. Yes

But I doubt it will happen the as the yes campaign never really got off the ground. It will be interesting to see the turn out for London. My polling station was empty when I voted.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

168 voted out of 400 on roll at our polling station this evening