1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yes. No. What?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by daisy1603, Nov 20, 2018.

1. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

Today has been a weird day.
    I saw my line manager about an unmanageable timetable.
    A supply teacher later told me they would be taking over part of my timetable (and therefore I would become part time).
    My head asked me (in passing on the playground) to email to confirm this was fine.
    Still reeling from interaction with supply teacher and having a ‘I don’t even know what just happened’ moment I emailed the head and said that was fine.
    Now I’m like what the hell.

Have I screwed myself over? Is it too late to find other options now I’ve emailed back?

2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Why did you email back saying it was fine?!

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

email head now, saying something like "sorry, not sure what was going on today as I got a bit confused with people telling me things. Can we please meet asap tomo to talk it all thorough before any decisions are made?"

frustum, JohnJCazorla and sbkrobson like this.
  4. daisy1603

Because it was put to me in a way that I didn’t feel I had an option - everything had been sorted and I was being told what was going to happen. That and being unable to think straight because of stress. Also having being brought up in an environment where when someone in a position of authority tells you to do something you don’t say no or question it you just do it.

That’s almost exactly what I have emailed and said, hopefully they won’t say no it’s too late.

strawbs likes this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

[QUOTE="daisy1603,
    That’s almost exactly what I have emailed and said, hopefully they won’t say no it’s too late.[/QUOTE]

excellent! I would also pop my head around there do first chance tomo as well.

agathamorse and daisy1603 like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

"Jump!"
    "How far?"

Do you want to be you, or do you want to be what you were brought up to be?
    If you've gone to talk about being subsumed, sounds as if you want to be you.
    But you really do need follow that through.

curlcurlcurl and agathamorse like this.
  7. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

You need to speak ASAP with HT. If your HT or Linemanager have reneged on what was agreed(in some kind of meeting I take it) you need to email back and tell them that this is not what was agreed and can you meet tomorrow.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. daisy1603

Me definitely, but it’s taking a lot of unlearning that I don’t have to roll over and take whatever is thrown at/given to me.

9. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Always take time to think things through before responding. If you are being pressurised to make quick decisions, that is not right. Give yourself the time to reflect and make a good decision.

agathamorse, phlogiston and daisy1603 like this.
  10. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

The only appropriate response to something like this would be ‘can you email me with details of what you’d like me to agree to, I will then respond.’

With that you get:
    - in writing what they are asking of you.
    - time to mull it over properly.

I agree with what others have said, go and discuss face to face.

11. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

These are the kind of people who often become 'shooters' in the US....

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This is a somewhat bizarre and unexpected first response to a teacher complaining of workload. It was so strange, that I was unable to respond when I first read it yesterday.
    In the short term you meed some back up while you talk through possible solutions to your workload problem. Maybe you need to come up with a couple of solutions that do not result in you losing some of your income. You definitely need to polish your CV.
    This response from your head shows that either they are very very manipulative or that they themsleves are about to crack up under the strain of it all. Either way, you need to be working elsewhere.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. daisy1603

Definitely the latter. Staff are dropping left, right and centre under the strain of terrible timetables and decisions by management. SLT are running for the hills and an Ofsted inspection is imminent.
    Sinking ship.

14. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Yes. I've sort of been in this position. HoD put forward proposals for next term and asked me to agree. I asked questions. Things got vague. Things petered out. At a later date, she asked a fractional teacher to go .5. The fractional teacher asked questions and asked for clarification of certain points. Vague replies; difficult to pin down; no details. The fractional teacher simply moved on somewhere else.
    Have you actually been told that you will be working part-time? Or have you simply got more ppa or other duties. Pin them down. Ask for clarification. Don't let them be vague. The word of a supply teacher is not actually set in stone. A meeting and a drawing up of what exactly is going to happen needs to take place. This needs to written down and recorded. Not an email saying 'hey do you want to go part-time?' "Yeah. Okay"
    The devil is in the detail. If you are not satisfied with the outcome look elsewhere.

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  15. jamtart20

jamtart20 New commenter

I've heard that schools are supportive places yet I've never encountered one where a request for support is no strings.

There is always a catch, whether it be at the time, or down the line when needing a reference or at some other point that SLT can put the boot in.

Case in point, when asked by a previous HT when starting the job what my points to improve were, I mentioned 2 points.
    These then appeared on my reference in the future as points to work on. Was confused by this, as lesson obs had never mentioned these and were actually listed as strengths! (although I was never given a paper copy!)

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It happened to me, although I suspect that was just down to having a decent HoD rather than being a whole school thing.

agathamorse likes this.