1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

yearly plans?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by arrrrrrrbee, May 14, 2017.

1. arrrrrrrbee

arrrrrrrbee New commenter

Hi everyone
    just wondering what kind of yearly plan you are making for September. I'm about to start mine and as I'm new to HoD need a few pointers.
    We are reviewing SoWs next half term to adapt for student movement - we're also moving year 9 to KS4 - Mock exams are being reviewed and adapted.
    I want to look at the data and identify students at the end of the Summer term who will need some form of intervention as soon as we are back.
    Is there anything else I should be considering?
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Development plans for textbooks and resources
    Development and CPD plans for staff
    Development plans for buildings, furniture, fittings
    Succession planning for staff, perhaps
    How are you sharing resources? How well are you using the ICT systems?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Our development plans always had to be linked to the school's overall plan and SEF, based on ofsted feedback. Check if there are any whole-school priorities you need to be including. I make sure I include all the things I know I'm going to be doing anyway, e.g. Extra-curricular, trips, and GCSE support sessions, etc. Think about any particular groups of students based on data who are underachieving in your subject, and how this could be addressed (again, there may be a whole-school focus). Ways to raise the profile of your subject, make links with the community or cross-curricular links. Maybe ways of developing student voice or leadership.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Any new spec needing new SoW plus resourcing.
    New staff needing suport

But as said above school version is the starting point.

5. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Always start with the school development plan as, in our case anyway, everything had to be linked. You can pretty much always find a tenuous link though it just means being a bit creative with wording.