1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Yearly overview for Maths in reception

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by pink007, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I've been searching high and low for a yearly overview
    for Maths in reception but can't find one anywhere, can anyone help
    please? I've got termly breakdowns but would like to see the year
    laid out with development matters statements and ELGs to see
    progression throughout the year and which objective to teach when.
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. Just bumping this up...can anyone help with this please?

3. Dont have yearly or even termly breakdowns myself. Teach through the interests or theme your exploring at the time is my advice. Use imagination and the freedom that being in the EY provides...

4. I understand what you're saying Superman7 but if we are to teach well we need to show how the children will progress and build upon mathematical skills. Skills in maths are built upon each other so if we don't have structure in our teaching children could miss some opportunities and crucial mathematical understanding. We have a great overview for phonics, several of them produced by independent professionals and government, why is there nothing out there for EYs maths? Sorry....having a moan as I've spent so long looking now! Any advice, or weblinks to overviews would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

6. I underand that you would like the reassurance of structure throughout the year however in my opinion the skill to introducing concepts and exploring them is in your provision and abilities of the staff. Just because you may be investigating patterns for example one week doesnt mean you should ignore an opportunity to explore calculation if a situation arises. Also certain themes obviously lend themselves to certain objectives and concepts...