1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year3/4 music of the 20th century production-help gratefully received!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by pippa77, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi:)
    I'm an nqt teaching year 4 and at Easter, my year 3 colleague and myself are putting on a musical event.
    We have decided on the theme of 'music through the ages' and have planned to take a couple of songs from say the 50's, 60's,70's, 80's, 90's and 00's and perform them along with appropriate dances.
    I was just wondering if anyone had done anything similar or had any thoughts/ideas? We are very enthusiastic but neither of us have any experience of putting on productions! Our music subject leader is fab but any more ideas, especially of tried and tested songs/routines would be fantastic!!!!
    Many thanks and happy half term to all,
    Pippa
    X

2. Ps sorry about the formatting, am trying out my new iPad!

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. Great, that looks like a good starting point, many thanks
    Pippa
    X

5. Hi there,I have done this at my school and it worked well. We did it differently in the respect that all years took part and had a decade each to deliver. I googled the chart lists for the decades and chose from the songs I knew I had music, backing tracks for, or available. We included songs such as Daydream Believer, Lets twist again, Crocodile Rock, Spice Girls, Abba ..During talky bits we included short phrases such as 'we will, we will rock you', and come on, come on (may be less appropriate now)...and made big references to the styles and sweets of the 80's. Huge 3D Spangles and love hearts were made in DT lessons and hung around the hall. We made a large TV screen around the IWB and captured the music and images for Top of the Pops and various other cult TV series to make reference to during a bit of drama between singing. The 'remote button gadget' was huge! An able child who hated standing up singing did the powerpoint for us. Pans People featured briefly. Also we had SUmmer Lovin' which is good for a bit of girls v boys type singing. Film music is also useful e.g. the recent cars track 'You gotta friend in me" is a good children's song and bang up to date, also the likes of Lion King tunes. Some of the songs we sang to a backing track, and some we sang over the artist. A word of warning, if any of your soundtrack has inappropriate language e.g. `summer Lovin' (depending on the version) might have dodgy lyrics in the boys verse, but I made sure the children learned appropriate lyrics and sang over the dodgy ones where appropriate . If you send home the respectable lyrics to be learned, it also makes parents aware of the changes and heads off potential issues! We also did the 'Thriller' dance and song- but it took hours to learn the moves (off youtube) and arrange for the younger children. It was good, but boy did it take some preparation and practice! It really was great fun- hard work but very enjoyable for everybody involved. Good Luck!

6. Thanks so much karpark!
    I really appreciate all your help. You're production sounds wonderful and we'll definitely be using some of your ideas!! I think we have a lot of work ahead of us but you've reminded me why it's all worth it, thank you.