1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year1 continous provision during literacy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sara2323, Mar 21, 2011.

1. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Hi, I need some advice regarding continous provision. I am a new year 1 teacher and am struggling with implementing continous provision in my class, particularly during literacy and numeracy lessons. I have been thinking about linking the CP to the lesson objectives.
    For literacy I have decided to have four activities over four days ensuring each group gets to complete these over the week, two of these activities to include independent activities, including role play, phonics work, listening station etc and te other two teacher/TA led.
    However I don't know how to link the activities to all the lesson objectives over the week. For example on the first day children are listening to a traditional story as a whole class and groups are writing speech bubbles, role-playing, making a puppet and matching words to pictures. The second day the focus is on speech bubbles as a whole class and then they move to the group work. The next day reading a different version and talking about this as a whole class and finally focusing on a character as a whole class followed by group work.
    I'm not sure if this is the right way- I have only seen CP where it was not linked to lesson objectives more of a free choice for children and these children would not complete the teacher/TA led activities that day although present during whole class input and would swap the following day.
    All the children will get an opportunity to have free play during the day and on Wednesday and Fridays afternoons, which is way I wanted to link the CP to lessons.
    Any advice would be really useful- thanks.

Having observed teachers using continous provsion where some worked only working with certain groups for particular lesson objectives whilst other groups in CP.

2. inq

inq

As far as I understood CP is totally child initiated and they can choose where they go although there may be tasks set at different 'stations' e.g. can you make a bridge for the Billy Goats to cross. If you are sending 1 group to role play, another to do phonics etc is this not just group work? At the beginning of Y1 we had CP, my TA and I worked with 1 or 2 groups a day and the others went and accessed whatever they wanted, now we have group activities which are often practical and could include role play.

3. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks this is what confused me! I thought if the children carried out practical activities independently in the CP area it could count as CP!
    I think I'm trying too hard to link it to the lessoon objectives as I worry that I would not be able to cover all the objectives if I only work with two groups a day.