1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year Two assessment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JoPatten51, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I've been retired for a couple of years. A parent has asked me to help their child prepare for Year 2 SATs. I understand the child is quite bright but speaks English as a second language.

Since I was last in school I believe the testing requirements for Year 2 have changed quite a lot.

Can you give me some idea what the expectation is, particularly for reading and writing. Do the children still complete a reading booklet with comprehension questions? Do they have to do a long and short piece of writing and if so what genre are they expected to be able to write?

Any advice would be welcome.

2. It is far more difficult now to help a child prepare for Year 2 'SATs' as the reported levels are based on teacher assessment over a wide number of pieces of work.
    The actual writing task (long and short) itself does remain but will only inform the overall level judgement.
    This means (in my opinion quite rightly) that the children cannot achieve high levels based on the 'SATs' writing tasks alone.
    You may well be able to provide some additional opportunities for covering a range of writing styles and techniques that will help this child more generally, but without knowing the work that will be assessed and form part of the evidence for this particular child, I am not sure you will be able to help specifically with SATs preparation.
    I hope this is some use?

3. Thank you. That is helpful.

From my point of view I would aim to improve the child's writing from whatever he can do now. But from the parent's perspective they want a good result on his report at the end of the year. I, at least, want to be able to give them a fair idea of what to expect his results to be.

I can't find anything online for up to date information on what is expected at each level.

4. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

APP?
    This is the writing sheet for levels 2/3
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/48412

and this one tells you what they need to get a low level 2 (2c), a secure level 2 (2b) or a high Level 2 (2a) etc
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/19534?uc%20=%20force_uj

Do make sure that the parents know that ONLY the Teacher assessment grade will be reported-not any of the 'test' scores, so he won't be revising for a test with you per se, but just improving his English!

5. Thank you very much.

I had wondered what APP was? Obvious when you know! Only a few years out of the classroom and the jargon changes.

I've saved the relevant pages and bookmarked the site.

Now what about reading. I've found, especially with ESL learners that however good their reading is they need a lot of help interpreting the questions in those SATs reading booklets. The older boy I tutor achieved 5B on his reading in year 6. I was amazed but I had spent weeks going through past papers explaining what the questions required. Do they still have to do these in Year 2 and if not how is reading assessed?

Many thanks.

6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I'm glad that helped!
    You'll see the reading APP on that site as well-that's what we use to assess each child with and we submit a sublevel for them at the end of each term. The 'evidence' comes from individual/guided reading notes. We also do a Reading comprehension and the 'running record' in May time, but this is only a small part of the overall teacher assessment level given.