1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year R - Ways of explaining how to count on using apparatus

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sunshine84, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hi,

This is something I always feel a little unconfident in explaining to children. I reletively new to teaching so dont have a lot of experience but want to make sure I do my best when teaching maths.

At the moment I am teaching children addition problems and am introducing them to the apparatus they can use to help them. The things I find difficult to explain to them are:
    how to use the number line to count on and how to keep a number in their head and count on from there.

Obviously I find it easy to do these use these methods myself but how are the best ways of explaining these to children. I have to do a bit of it in a input which my headteacher is observing and want to explain it in a nice clear way to the children. They will be using them in group work too but its the input bit where I want to really make sure they begin to understand.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

2. I always tell my children they need a 'starting number'. We always look at the number sentence and identify which number we start with, as they progress we realise we can start with either number in the sentence, and much easier if the 'starting number' is the biggest number. Then we can do it with a numberline - put your finger on the 'starting number' and jump on (or back if you are doing subtraction). When we do it in circle time, we touch our heads when we have the 'starting number' and then add on with our fingers and do it altogether.
    Hope that helps!

3. The common mistake that children make is to count the starting number, instead of jumping to the next number before starting to count, so it helps to say "jump 3 times to add 3", counting jumps rather than numerals.

4. toty

toty New commenter

Use 2 dice - one with numerals & the other with spots. Roll the
    numeral dice first, say/find corresponding number; roll spot dice &
    count/add on.

5. I would say that for the majority this is more a Year One concept. However there will be some that need this taught to them in Reception.
    Things that I do
    the "ding ding" tin (I got this from a BEAM course)
    You need an old baby milk powder tin or similar and some multi link.
    at first don't worry about getting children to put the biggest number first.
    Throw two dice/pick two cards etc to get your "number sentence". Write on the board.
    6+5,
    get children to count the "dings" as you drop 6 unifix cubes into the tin. Shake tin, "How many did we put in here?" "6" What was our number sentence? So now we need to add 5 more - how many in the tin? 6, (then add other cubes)7,8,9,10,11. How many altogether?
    Then I usually empty the tin and ask someone to "check" our answer.
    It is also a pretty good method for just counting and phase 1 letters & sounds,
    I also make a numberline on the floor with carpet tiles or chalk, large dice & the children physically hop. I have a numberline on the wall with a laminated pic to move along the line (whatever they are interested in - I have just made a new Octonaut one) Desk top numberlines with a"counter" of their choosing (a compare bear or small world figure usually)
    and just lots of reinforcement of - "we already know that there are 6 here, so we can just count on from 6"