1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year Planners

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lizziec, Jun 26, 2012.

1. In most of the schools I have worked at, planners and/or diaries have been supplied to all teaching staff - in some cases we get a choice of size or format... hopefully you will get a diary and/or planner when you arrive....though you might not get a choice.
    Over the years I have tried several different types (some out of choice, others because that was the type left over!). I currently prefer a spiral bound A5 planner, and use the markbook and calendar pages in the planner instead of a separate markbook or diary, but at different points in my career, I have used a separate diary, or an A4 looseleaf planner in a ring binder or kept entirely electronic records instead of paper.
    Sorry, the answer "it depends" is probably not very helpful!
    Liz

2. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Darned right it isn't! AARRGGHH!

LOL

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Yes I recommend having a teacher planner of some sort. Which sort will depend on you; I prefer A4 bound planners but in my department other colleagues use folder based planners and A5 ones. It is also possible to do it all electronically with ipad apps / pc software etc. As you are doing an employment based PGCE you will probably have a planner provided; if not you can buy different styles at Staples or get someone in your department to order one in for you.
    In your PGCE year it is worth seeing what other teachers do and copying the way that best suits you (or pinching bits from several people)

4. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Thanks. I was just trying to get ahead and do everything possible before the first day of term

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

An excellent approach - it would be worth contacting the school prior to your start and see if they provide a planner and if not if they could order ine in for you.