1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year out - advice on volunteer abroad organisations?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Miss_B_T, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Miss_B_T

Miss_B_T New commenter

I've decided to take some time off teaching and would love to volunteer abroad. There are loads of organisations online but it's hard to tell which ones are legit, so I thought I'd ask what experiences anyone may have volunteering abroad?
    Thanks!

2. bee899

bee899 New commenter

If you speak any langauges the red cross is advertising now for nine to twelve month posts in various countries, some with kids, some with women's shelters etc. You get account, a (very) small stipend and food money. The only thing is you have to speak the language of the country and apply, you are not guaranteed a post.

3. Miss_B_T

Miss_B_T New commenter

Oh wow, that kind of thing sounds amazing but I don't speak another language! Thank you though

4. bee899

bee899 New commenter

Another alternative I've heard good things about is the government funded volunteer program (VSO -just google it). They have a range of programs and appreciate skills based volunteers e.g. Teachers.

You can volunteer specifically in a skills based way at any age in a variety of countries. Check the website. Or if you are 18-25 volunteer, you can work as a youth volunteer in some of the world's most impoverished countries, with a less skills based placement. Or, if 25-35, as a team leader, again less skills based but you do need leadership experience, (which you would have as a teacher), leading the younger volunteers with another locally based team leader from the country you are in. I believe expenses, accomodation etc are covered though you do have to fundraise £800(?), I think.

That's all the ones I know about. Good luck to you!

annascience2012 likes this.