1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year one teacher refusing to tie shoelaces?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Mar 19, 2011.

1. As I carry out an HLTA post in the afternoon I DO plan for lessons as well, in the exact way the teachers do, with a lot less PPA time, and for a lot less money!!
    Some teachers get a God complex about what they think they should and shouldn't do, teaching is not all about the planning, there should be an element of caring there as well.

2. Hey, i'm in year 1 at the moment and most of my class wear velcro shoes to school but those who don't i'm usually happy to do tie them if asked. The times when I would say, go to my TA s are when i'm working with another child or group and i'm doing a group activity. If both of us are busy then I tend to tie laces while asking the child whose shoes im fastening up a question about the work they are doing.
    I just see it as par for the course working with the little people in school.

3. I'd love to, but can't afford to. I've devoted more than a decade to
    teaching the world how to tie shoelaces. It's rewarding in all ways
    except financially. Having lived on a shoestring budget for all these
    years, I'm now almost bankrupt.

4. I would have done it for him, it is not beneath me to tie a shoe lace, it was a one off occassion and most of all his health and safety was at risk! As for all of the other teachers (EEEEEKK, i am glad i do not work with some of you) I am amazed that you will spend numerous minutes posting, tracking and replying to posts but you will not spend seconds tying a shoe lace.....

5. 2004ajd

2004ajd New commenter

I fully agree; Just tie the laces [​IMG]

6. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

In the week we broke up I found out that 3 of my Year 6s couldn't tie shoelaces.....! When I spoke to one of their mums, who is also the school secretary, she replied...."Well, she's very academic so we thought it didn't matter" !!!!!!

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and as it only takes the teacher a second to tie it why should she learn?[​IMG]

8. If a child asked me to help them then I would !.

9. I could tie a lace till about 9 or 10. No idea why, it seemed a very easy process, yet try as I could always failed. I didn't ask teacher to tied any shoelace that came undone, but was very reliant on other boys helping me out. Whole process was very frustrating.
    I am very surprised that some primary school teachers seem to think this is just a matter of learning or that such children are illbreed. It's not, some children will not be able to do till much later in development. Even to this day, I still have to retie my tie as can sometimes get this wrong first time around eventhough I must of done it thousands of times.
    I think it's one of those things like rolling-your-tongue or wagging-your-ears - neither of which can be taught -, whereas few can do the latter all that well, a certain few can't tie knots well.
    Primary school teachers should be aware of such possiblities, as clearly there is an obvious H&S risk. The biggest cause of death by trauama in the UK is 'falling-down' - in particular stairs. Albeit this is probably at the other end of the age scale; I don't think this matter should be taken lightly.
    If your not prepared to get your hands dirty whilst working with children, your really shouldn't be working with children. I am afraid children will always tend to lack the hygene of adults.

10. Another thought has occurred to me.
    Given that 92% of primary school teachers are female, and that female shoes make little use of laces, could it be that the strange aversion some teachers have to shoelaces is due to their own inability?
    It certainly seems that any excuse is being used to avoid the practice, even when there is a clear H&S risk to children.

11. Msz

No H&S if you as the child to tuck in the trailing ends [​IMG] or better still change into PE shoes ...
    yes I'm female yes I can tie shoe laces ...

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Exactly! Or, shock horror, suggest they tie their laces, as many can they just think it will be quicker to ask me. I will untie serious knots, but that is all.
    Again, me as well!

Ridiculous suggestion that we don't do it because we can't! I don't write for my class either, not even those who struggle to write. Doesn't mean I can't write.

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Can't believe this thread is back ...

14. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Likewise, but Ian's Shoelace site is brilliant! So too was the suggestion from the Y2 teacher who said she sent children home with a paper/card shoe to lace up and return when competent!

15. Msz

I bought some of those plastic ones from ELC when I was in reception to send home.

16. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I haven't seen those for years Msz, but I did buy some self tying football boot laces that I think you recommended for my 13 yr old son who has many physical problems.