1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year one teacher refusing to tie shoelaces?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Mar 19, 2011.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Here here Nichola. Can't believe we are up to sixty odd posts about tying shoe laces. It takes about 10 seconds per shoe, stops the kids falling over and stops them trailing after the adults in class bleating about their undone laces. Your hands are easily washed afterwards. Unfortunately the kids rarely bother washing theirs properly so in the course of a day we probably come into contact with all kinds of germs from the filthy blighters. Occupational hazard. Not a conspiracy developed by evil non-velcro supporting parents,If you don't want to be in contact with germs, don't work in KS1. They all suck their fingers you know. Bleuch.

2. I agree. Really shocked at some of the attitudes towards this subject.
    Whatever stage of education you are in, it always comes with the 'things that are not in the job description'. It may be shoe laces for you guys, but its consoling crying teenage girls for us tutors in FE. Oh and people please don't make comments about how this is not my role and refer them on etc because if you care you listen (and do all the other things you excellent teachers out there do!)

3. I just cant believe that so many ppl have a problem with this! however we have a member of staff in our school who probably has never tied a lace or helped a child before. Why they came into the profession in the first place i will never understand!!!

4. Funnily enough was having a discussion with the Reception teacher today (one who's taught for many years) and she was bemoaning (sp?) the fact that children increasingly come to school lacking skills that only a few years ago would be taken as read. I mean, for example, simple manners, please thank you, learning to share, walking into school (rather than being put in buggy to the door), still having dummies, unable to put their own coats on, changing for PE at a most basic level..... I could go on. There would always be exceptions to the rule of course, but now the majority of children are being sent to school unable to do things that ten years ago they would have.
    No time from parents? Not considered important? An additional job for teachers?
    Tying laces in year 1 as a one off? Yes, I probably would. By the time they reach Year 3 - no way. Independence starts with the small stuff and grows. Let's not baby them. We do them no favours.

5. Speaking as someone who does tie the odd KS 1 shoe lace I would like to point out how horrible it can be, one was even wee-covered, as I found out afterwards (I hoped it was water from a puddle)[​IMG]
    It's OK occasionally at Y1 for a special event, but as another poster has pointed out if there are too many and it's too often you spend ages doing it. If a parent chooses to send their child in laces they do need to accept some responsiblity in either double-knotting them and/or teaching their child to tie them.
    And ...
    actually no you can't easily wash your hands straight away. Who will supervise your class while you leave the room to do it?

6. It is a flaming SHOELACE! No wonder the important issues never get sorted....

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Yes it's only a shoelace, but as other posters have said, there are lots of children who can't do things they ought to be able to do and doing it for them isn't helpful to them in the long run.

8. No, I wouldn't tie them. I'd ask them to change into plimsolls if they couldn't manage their own laces. It would take away my attention from the other children whose parents send them to school appropriately dressed.

9. Year 3? Doesn't that mean 7-8 years old? If you're not SEN or dyspraxic, shouldn't you be able to tie your laces? I vividly remember that year, as it was spent in a new and exciting school. For PE we were sent to the gym in the secondary school beyond the playground, where we had to un/tie twice the laces on our gym/shoes. I'm sure I would remember any kid who couldn't tie his laces, from the taunts he would have got from the rest of us (and probably the teacher). My children could do it before then.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

hardly! more likely to be multiple times a day. I do tie laces (in Y2) but as I said earlier it gets annoying when you tie them (in a double knot) and you watch them or their friend undo the laces a few minutes after [​IMG] and then when they can't tie them ...

11. I tie them - I will not however respond to the requests I get to remove the previous year's worth of knots that are IN the lace! Seriously - my job is stopping you breaking your neck on the shoelaces, getting all the old nots out is defintely your parents' remit!

12. I think it is dreadful that year 3s can't tie laces- unless there is a good reason! My 3 children had learnt by age 4. I used to teach Yr 3 and always made them tie their own laces.

13. If I wanted to tie laces and change naps i will be working in kindergaten.In the world when close contact with children is a no thing I am not putting my job in line by caring if so and so cant tie their laces ,close their zip!!

14. I have taught year 1 and am currently teaching year 2. I have been doing so for over ten years. I will tie shoes in year 1 because they are rarely able to learn the skill. During the first week of year 2, when we are getting to know each other, I have the children make a shoe card. They draw an outline of their shoe on card. they draw two tabs, one on each side of the shoe. I use a hole punch to put two holes in each tab. I then lace it up and show them how to tie their shoes. I send this home with the child after saying - bring it back when you can tie it by yourself in front of me and you will get rewards. I have kids begging me for these shoes and I don't have to tie them myself. We are teachers - aren't we?

15. Yes we are teachers. But it isn't our responsibility to teach the children the basic life skills that they should learn at home. I get fed up with the number of children who I teach in year 2 who can't do something as simple as holding a knife and fork to eat or picking up after themselves, saying please and thankyou, tying laces and folding clothes etc.

16. I'm happy to tie laces for Y1 children as a one off for a dress up day. If they wore lace up shoes and didn't learn to tie them it would be a different matter. Year 1 is quite young to be able to tie laces when they hardly ever wear them.
    Although in my day we all had to learn in Reception and had those wooden lacing up shoes things to practise on! Everyone could do it after a few weeks.

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

OK, I'll tie all the shoelaces, you plan next week's lessons?

18. I will willingly tie any child's shoe laces irrespective of age, usually in a double knot! I would prefer to spend 15 seconds of my time doing this than several hours at A&E because of an accident I could've prevented. That's basic Health and Safety and duty of care. Just my opinion

19. I'd rather tie laces than have to later deal with the fallout from a spectacular tumble. I do try to make time to teach children how to do it.

20. roise

roise New commenter

I generally won't tie laces but will make a point of finding out who in the class can and direct any child who needs their laces tied to them so children don't have struggle with untied laces. I think that seeing another child tie it helps them to realise that they could learn to do it themselves. If children come in with shoes that they can't manage themselves I will tell parents at the end of the day that they are unsuitable for school I personally think it is unkind of parents to send them in in shoes they cant tie. The only parents who make a fuss tend to be the ones that don't want their children to be independent, the same ones who don't teach their children to zip their coats or who dress them in the morning so that they can't button their own shirts after P.E. It's not because I don't care about them, it's because I think they should be encouraged to be independent. As for specifically teaching them, anyone who says that has no idea about how overstuffed the curriculum is in Year 1, there is already more to teach than time to teach it. I would happily teach it as long as someone tells me what I stop teaching to free up the time.