1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year one teacher refusing to tie shoelaces?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Mar 19, 2011.

1. You don't have TAs nick.....you are a student.

2. breadmaker

breadmaker New commenter

Come on people! Have a heart!! I am a y1 teacher of many years experience and always tie shoe laces in a double knot when first asked and that tends to do the trick. Obviously, it's not in our job description to do shoe laces and other tasks related to being with young children all day, but, maybe I'm soft hearted, I have known many children who get very anxious about this kind of thing and then they can't take in/participate ion the learning anyway as their mind is on their immediate needs- Maslow's hierarchy didn't mention shoelaces, but if your are 5 or 6, these are probably at the bottom of your pyramid as they are very important to you!!

3. As many have said. A parent shouldn't be sending in their child with shoelaces if they can't tie them up themselves. One of the other teachers in our yeargroup at school sends them to get their plimsoles on instead.

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I had a Y3 boy in my first ever class who could not tie up his shoelaces. He tripped over them one playtime and broke his collar bone. I think his Mum got him velcro shoes after that. I wonder if he has learned to do them yet ...

5. I have a son in year 3 and I also teach year 3. My son try as we might with his trainers at home cannot get his head around how to tie his shoelaces. My partner and I have spent hours and I mean hours with him, lots of practicing and lots of tears but he just can't get it.

He hates that he has velco school shoes and PE trainers as his friends have ones with laces and we have explained that this is so he doesn't have to ask other people to do up his laces.

With this in mind I have never even had a second thought about doing a childs laces for them no matter what age they are. Yes maybe it is a waste of my time, but it is that little a detail I couldn't tell you how much time I waste doing it.

I agree with a lot of what is being said but I think we all need to bear in mind that some children out there are really trying to be independent, it just takes time.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think many colleagues are missing the point here.
    No, we are not paid to tie up children's shoelaces and no, it is not a good use of our time.
    However, knowingly refusing to correct a safety hazard of which a teacher is aware is another matter.
    Not this time. However, had the child taken a serious fall as a direct result of having had his shoelaces 'tucked in' on the teacher's instructions rather than being tied, then the situation for both the child and the teacher may have been different. For the child an injury and for a teacher a possible disciplinary for professional negligence.
    Yes, I know that the child could have fallen anyway, but once the teacher has been involved matters and responsibilities would be different.
    In any event, the teacher could just as easily asked a competent child to help.
    Having said that, why on earth is it that a Year 3 child has not yet learned to tie his laces. It is hardly rocket science! Give the kid a shoe so that he can sit in fron of the television and practice until he has got it. It will only take a weekend, for goodness sake!

8. Feel free to come and sit with my son and say that to him. Unfortuantly some children struggle with the coordination needed to get the lace through the loop. I hope to goodness you are never teaching my children with an attitude like that.
    Yes by year 3 most children should be able to tie their laces as well as read and write. We are quite happy to support children who have yet to learn those latter skills yet a child who cannot tie their laces is seen as wrong.

9. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

1. Where do you get shoes with laces on that fit small children?? I have yet to see any in Clarks...!
    2. In loco parentis. Of course I would tie shoelaces for a small child. (and I would echo the person who asked them to lift the offending shoe to correct height!!)

10. We ask for only velcro fastening shoes to be worn but this was an exception. However I disagree because I do think it was a big deal for health and safety reasons. Your child could have had an accident due to shoes not been fastened. Surely as a one off the teacher could have helped.

11. If you only knew exactly how many times each day I was asked to tie shoe laces in my class of 31 Year 1 children, you might have more sympathy for this teacher's 'behaviour' (and btw, I would call starting a forum on the topic, 'making a fuss'). Tying the the odd shoe lace in Year 3 is really not the same. I love my children and I work stupid hours to give them inspiring and exciting work to do, but shoe laces are never going to be a priority for me. My children ask their friends to tie theirs and that works fine for all involved.

12. I'm a year 1 teacher and am doing laces all the time. I do them in a double knot and remind them to ask their parents to teach them how to tie them. I don't do helping with tights or anything else.

13. i still struggle to do laces and im 26 :s i still use the bunny ears method, might be a bit easier for him. make two loops and tie them together.
    so as i struggle myself, i do try and avoid doing laces, which is a bit hard seems im in recepetion, but never thought about asking parents not to send their child in if they cant tie them .

14. Good grief, this is almost pathetic. Surely from a Health and Safety view point you are obligated to do this. Have I missed the point though? As educators are we not in schools to teach? Be it Maths, English , Science or social skills. May be I am too accommodating. At least I remember why I came in to teaching and I hope whenever one of my students asks for help, however trivial, I do my utmost to answer their question, point them in the right direction for help or put them on the straight and narrow. As a parent as well as a teacher I would hope anyone in this wonderful profession would do the same.

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

and help them to develop independence?

16. I give up! As a parent of a Year 1 child and a primary schook teacher I cannot believe the way a small minority of teachers of young chidren now deal with such issues in their classrooms. Have a heart...tie the shoelaces on Red Nose Day and do it with a smile on your face too. This teacher is either teaching the wrong age group or doesn't have a child of their own. It saddens me greatly that some classroms are now run by people who should perhaps be in a job such as the armed forces where their harsh attitiude would actually be of benefit.

17. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

When my class came to me in September (Y1), shoelaces weren't the problem (it's wall to wall velcro in my class) but ties were. We don't have those ties on a stretchy elastic, and no way was I going to waste my time doing 30 ties. I just insisted that the children learn how to do it, and we had a couple of practice sessions in the classroom (at break time). Some of the more poorly coordinated children still struggle a little, but at least they can knot it reasonably effectively.

18. I haven't tied kids laces since I wondered why a little boy's laces were sopping wet on a dry summers day. Little boys don't have the best aim! I get another child to help tie their lace if they can.