1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year One displays

Discussion in 'Primary' started by petrapan, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT and will be starting my career with year 1, I'm going in to school this week to decorate my classroom. I was thinking of having a letters & sounds display, then boards for literacy, numeracy and topic, a behaviour board with class rules etc, and a birthday display.
    I'm a bit confused though, should I be putting up whole finished displays straight away or just putting up the backing paper and borders/pictures and headings and leaving the space for their work? Many of my NQT friends have designed busy, elaborate displays already but I'm unsure what to actually put on them as I've used working walls on my teaching practices.

2. I'm an NQT and will be starting my career with year 1, I'm going in to school this week to decorate my classroom. I was thinking of having a letters & sounds display, then boards for literacy, numeracy and topic, a behaviour board with class rules etc, and a birthday display.
    I'm a bit confused though, should I be putting up whole finished displays straight away or just putting up the backing paper and borders/pictures and headings and leaving the space for their work? Many of my NQT friends have designed busy, elaborate displays already but I'm unsure what to actually put on them as I've used working walls on my teaching practices.

3. You need to keep in mind the purpose of the display board, it is not a showcase for the artistic talents of the teacher.
    Display boards should in my opinion celebrate the children's learning or support the children's learning. I wouldn't put anything up on display other than perhaps a number line that you haven't explicitly taught, as you teach something then you can put up e.g. a story mountain say or a word bank etc. I find if a display is already on the wall the children rarely use it and it just becomes wallpaper. I would be inclined to have a mix and definately go down the working wall route. I would be inclined to do the class rules with the children, I had my most effective class rules display this year that the children did refer to frequently. We only had 4 rules and each one was illustrated by a photograph of the children using the appropriate behavior (sharing for example) then all the class included my TA and I signed it round the outside.
    Good luck for your NQT year.

4. Thankyou for that, I was thinking the same thing really. I want the displays to be meaningful for the kids, I want the classroom to look nice too obviously but I think that can be achieved without filling the display boards straight away. I just don't want people to think I'm a lazy mare if some of my boards are empty. I was planning to set some class rules with the kids, although I'll obviously have my own rules in mind anyway but I'm sure their ideas will be fairly similar. The photo idea is a great way to personalise it, I may try that.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Are you not aware that teachers shouldn't be spending their time doing displays?
    Don't you think the school might already have its rules set and a Behaviour Policy in place?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would have things up that you will use all year round, so maybe some VCOP stuff or phonics or similar. And then like you say a numberline and that kind of thing. You don't want the children coming in to bare walls.
    Then on the others you could have lettering spelling out Literacy, Numeracy, Class, whatever the title of the display will be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51089309@N04/4695804614/in/photostream

Someone else posted this link on a different thread and it has lots and lots of ideas for fab displays.

Lots of lettering to download and cut out from http://www.instantdisplay.co.uk/alphabetsets.htm

Actually lots of ideas on the thread I nicked the link from https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/508439.aspx?PageIndex=1

7. @harsh but fair- Well if I don't do displays, my class will be coming in to bare walls- not exactly ideal is it? Yes the school obviously do have rules and a behaviour policy and I'm already aware of both. However, each class have their own personalised rules as well.
    @minnie minx- thanks for that! [​IMG]

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd hate to give away doing displays to someone else...one of the perks of this job!

Besides who will do it and when if I don't?

Our school has a behaviour policy (I imagine, never got round to asking for one) but classes have their own way of discussing and displaying rules.

9. Yes we all know we're "not supposed" to do displays but I have never met a teacher yet who wanted someone else do them for them. I don't collect money or any of that other admin stuff but as far as I am concerned a display is part of providing a stimulating learning environment and I'd rather my TA was supporting the children not putting up displays thank you very much.
    Yes there is a behaviour policy, yes there are school golden rules but you need to make them meaningful for the age of the children through discussion and visual reinforcement.

10. On an extra note I have stopped using backing paper altogether and painted all the boards in my classroom and cloakroom pale blue. I rarely use borders either. The paint looks far better than scruffy backing paper and is cheaper in the long run so saves time and money. I have also given one large board in the cloakroom over to the children. It is headed "We are Proud of our Learning", each child has a plastic pocket with their name on and they are able to photograph or colour copy any learning they are proud of to display. They have to be able to explain what they have learned and why they are proud of it. There is a speech bubble in the middle of the display which says "ask me why I'm proud" this encourages the children to talk about their learning with anyone that asks.

11. Wow yirg - I was just browsing and as I have year 1 after year 2 and year 3 I thought I;d take a look. I love the 'What i am proud of' display and if you don't mind I will be nicking this idea.

Thanks again.

12. You are very welcome. I have the odd moment of lucid thought from time to time.[​IMG]

13. Hi

I will be putting this VCOP display up. The children in my class always make good use of it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290585667855&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT