1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year one class all SEN children

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by spongebob10, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hi I would appreciate some ideas on how to support a class of children
    in year one who are a mixture of SEN and very low achievers. I will be
    teaching them all day following an early years approach with possibly
    2/3 teaching assistants (one to support a statemented child) The
    remaining year one children will be in 2 other classes of mixed
    ability. I will have approximately 14 children.The intention is to
    provide a smaller class in order for them to make progress which may
    not be so achievable in a large mixed ability group, Does anyone have
    any thoughts or opinions on this type of venture?

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I think a lot of achievement at this age is linked to maturity and it takes some children all through KS1 to get to where they need to be because they have so much growing up to do. So it's great that the EYFS model is being continued (although I would argue that this model is good in all of KS1 ... and maybe beyond) but the fact that they are being separated from the more mature and focussed role models may actually have a negative impact in terms of their development. Presumably you've been given the "bottom" 20% of the cohort? How low is their achievement in terms of their FSP scores?

3. Thanks for your reply. The majority of the children have scored quite low on the FSP scores,3 children are particularly low eg 35, most of the children are summer born and very immature. Some are still struggling to write names due to very poor fine motor skills. I feel that being separated from more able peers will have a negative effect but this is something being trialled this year. We are trying to raise achievement (who isn't?) but I am concerned about them being away from more able children. I also echo your point about taking some children taking time to get to where they need to be. It is a shame that so much pressure is placed on them to perfom! It will be interesting to see how the year goes!

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Good luck with it. I'm just imagining having a class with 2x my lower achievers and it would be terribly tough, particularly in terms of talking and interacting. It will be interesting for you to keep us posted.

5. Thanks for your reply. I am a little sceptical about the entire arrangement but it will be interesting to see how it all works out. I will probably find it very demanding and will miss having more able children to bring some spark to the learning. On the other hand the children are lovely if demanding (I am coming up from Foundation with them and know them very well!!_) We shall see!! I will keep you posted!!

6. Your class sounds a bit like my class (special school). In Sept we start off with lots of play and not much sitting, when we do sit our 'work 'it may be seeing if you can recognise your name and then peg it on a washing line/ put pegs all round it, playing with playdough pinching it or rolling it etc, playing with random little toys (McDonald type) and being asked who has.....? Basically anything that uses fine motor movements, or very very early sorting. Listening skills, sitting and doing skills etc, when they can achieve these then you can move on a bit. Go slow at first and they will fly by July! Mz posted a great set of ideas of fine motor activities, practise these add your own refinements. Lots of talking and listening, it may be that they may fly when they have time to answer without someone else being quicker! We sit in a horseshoe of tables, every one looking at me.

7. Some great ideas and suggestions, thankyou!! I like the idea that they may fly when they have time to answer without someone else being quicker. My only concern is that quite a few of the children are just very young 4 year olds but who I know will will thrive in their own time. It will benefit the 4 very SEN children I'm sure but I will just have to make sure that the others will find their own pace and achieve their likely potential.

8. One positive to take from this, is that some of them will have the chance to b the more-able children in this particular class! :)

9. Very true!! Thank you for that positive comment, I had'nt really thought of it like that!! So useful to seek views and opinions from others, this has really helped me for September.

10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

it's also true that it will benefit the more able children in the other classes, as they will get attention fociused on their needs, also.
    i have a number of SEN children in my class who really need individual attention but won't get any funding. they divert a lot of adult time away from the more able ones. three of them are quite disruptive, though they don't mean to be so. it's very hard for the more able to concentrate, or to take them somewhere quieter, because there aren't the staff to supervise them .