1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year One & Anna Ephgrave Approach

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ggooch, Sep 19, 2020.

1. ggooch

ggooch New commenter

Hello all,

Does anyone in Year 1 follow the approach by Anna Ephgrave in her book 'Year One in Action' by providing continuous provision?

I am interested to hear how continuous provision runs alongside all the formal teaching and learning that is often used in Year One classrooms.

(I haven't bought this particular book yet, however have most of the other books by Ephgrave on in the moment planning and continuous provision)

Thank you in advance,

Greg

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When I used CP in year 1 I did all Maths and English lessons as a carousel.
    Whole class input for around 10 mins then around 30 mins in groups then around 10 mins getting feedback from those in CP and 'visiting' the role play that had been created.
    Group carousel was one group with me, one with TA, one in (deconstructed) role play and two accessing other CP. We rotated over the week.

For the rest of the day we did a mix of whole class work (phonics), choice time (foundation subjects where they would choose how to complete a challenge and what area of provision to use) and free time (high level play in CP). We did call readers away from play to read, which is something I never quite felt I got right.

This was a fair few years back now, long before the phrase ITMP existed.
    I use ITMP in nursery now and would do in Reception as well.
    I'd need to read the book to see how it works in year 1 and then think it through.

But if you teach year 1, then make it work for you and your class. If you are familiar with ITMP then you can probably sort something fabulous for your year 1 class.

3. oliviaiasi70

oliviaiasi70 New commenter

I read Anna Ephgrave's book last year which I found very inspiring! However, I didn't manage to implement CP properly last year and have tried this year to set up my year 1/2 classroom to suit CP. However, I am still finding it hard to cover all the curriculum subjects (especially aspects of English such as handwriting, SPAG, comprehension ( which we have to do formally) as well as creative writing . Maths is much easier to make informal and include in CP.
    I'm going to try a carousel in the afternoons with all the other subjects to choose from and CP available as well. I'm finding it hard to get away from the mindset that if I haven't set it, then they might not achieve the learning objectives ! Also, it's hard to see what they're doing in CP if my TA and I both have a group.
    Any advice anyone?