1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year of the pulse

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sparklepig2002, Jan 3, 2016.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

1. The UN General Assembly voted to declare 2016 as the "International Year of Pulses." "This is an extraordinary opportunity for the global pulse industry" declared Gordon Bacon, CEO of Pulse Canada. "Beans, lentils, peas and chickpeas have been the cornerstone of global nutrition for centuries.
      I was just wondering if we could post our favourite pulse recipes to try.

Lentil and Cheese loaf.Recipe from my Cranks book
      Makes 8 servings

225 grams Red Lentils
      1 large Onions
      25 grams Butter
      100 grams Cheddar Cheese
      1 large Egg, Whole
      Recipe Directions for Cranks Lentil & Cheese Wedge
      Cook the lentils in 450 mls water until soft and all water absorbed. Chop the onion, then melt butter in pan and fry onions till transparent. Combine all ingreditnts and press into an oiled 9 inch tin. Bake in oven at 190c for 30 mins. Serve hot or cold in wedges.

2. sparklepig2002

oops-forgot to add 1oz of breadcrumbs and 1tsp of mixed herbs.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Does nobody worrry about the ozone layer?:D:D

sparklepig2002 and GLsghost like this.
  4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Bean, beans the musical fruit
    The more you eat, the more you toot

Bart Simpson

sparklepig2002 and rosievoice like this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Love pulses! This one does create ozone layer problem emissions but is worth it! 500g chickpeas ( can use tinned for less gas), 300g chorizo, 2 slices belly pork cut in half, tin of tomatoes, red pepper, chilli, saffron, cup of stock, onion, tsp smoked paprika, oil. Fry pork, chopped onion and pepper, then chilli and diced chorizo, add rest of ingredients, bring to a simmer. Put in low oven for 2 hours till pork tender. Lovely! For 4, I serve with bread.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

7. sparklepig2002

I shall try the roasted carrot recipe-sounds delicious. Thank you Lapin.

8. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My partner will be delighted to hear that he has even more excuse to eat pulses. I've genuinely never known anyone else with such a love for the humble lentil, and I grew up in a family of vegetarian hippies.
    We've been experimenting lately with hummus made with pulses other than chickpeas (largely because we got ourselves all excited about making a Middle Eastern type feast for ourselves one weekend and then discovered at the last moment that we didn't have any chickpeas). We really like it made with borlotti beans and a bit of sumac (otherwise just as you'd make ordinary hummus), it has a lovely smooth texture and dare I say it, possibly tastes even nicer than the usual stuff.

My favourite ridiculously quick and easy thing to do with chickpeas is a soup from a Rose Elliott cookbook:
    2 tins of chickpeas
    2 cloves of garlic (or to taste)
    A teaspoon or so of veggie stock powder
    Fresh mint to taste
    Lemon juice to taste
    Salt and pepper

Chuck all of this in a blender including the liquid from the chickpeas and blend until smooth, then heat in a pan. That's it! Adjust the seasonings to taste and serve with croutons.

9. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

My mum also used to make a delicious lentil, tomato and cheese pasta bake that I don't have an actual recipe for, I just make it up as I go along and measure by eye. You basically fry onions, garlic and herbs of your choice, add red lentils and tomatoes and simmer until cooked, adding some stock if needed. The lentils should still have their shape rather than being mushy. While that happens, cook some pasta (I like fusilli or conchiglie, but whatever you prefer is fine) and make a cheese sauce. When it's all ready, mix the cheese sauce into the pasta, then put it in alternate layers with the lentil mixture in an ovenproof dish, finishing with a grating of cheese and some sliced tomato. Bake at about 180 degrees until the cheese is melted and bubbling. It sounds like a bit of an odd combination of ingredients, but I promise it's really tasty!

10. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I've been doing a lentil and sausage casserole recently. OH loves it!

I don't really follow measurements, but for two, roughly.....

Half a dozen good quality sausages (I use herb and garlic)
    Large onion
    Garlic
    Carrot
    Courgettes
    Can of tomatoes
    Mug of puy/French style lentils
    Can of canelloni beans (or mixed beans, or haricot or kidney.. whatever you like!)
    Worcestshire Sauce
    Tabasco Sauce
    Mixed herbs

Fry sausages until brown. Pat dry with paper towel and set aside.
    Fry onion and garlic in the same pan that you used for the sausages. When onions are golden, add chopped peeled carrot, and zuchini and stir. Add can of tomatoes, can of canelloni beans with the liquid, dash of Worcestshire sauce and Tabasco sauce, sprinkle of mixed herbs, and bring it to the boil.
    Add the cooked sausages and rinsed/soaked lentils.

I put it in the slow cooker and leave it for a few hours.

It's not 'restaurant quality', but good comfort food!

If you prefer vegetarian, leave out the sausages and use pumpkin, or sweet potato.

I also used to make a vegetarian lasagne, using lentils instead of mince. :)