1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year Nine Options: How do we get them to choose us?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by finamar, Jun 11, 2010.

1. finamar

finamar New commenter

Our Y9s have not opted for D&T in the numbers we've had in the past. This is due to many reasons, one being that there are only two option blocks this year.
    We are thinking of doing a very short making activity, for approx 6 sessions, in each technolgy area, close to the time of option choosing.
    Food and Textiles don't seem too bad, but it is all getting a bit worrying!
    Has anyone got any other ideas as to how we can encourage them to opt?

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

Our Y9s have not opted for D&T in the numbers we've had in the past. This is due to many reasons, one being that there are only two option blocks this year.
    We are thinking of doing a very short making activity, for approx 6 sessions, in each technolgy area, close to the time of option choosing.
    Food and Textiles don't seem too bad, but it is all getting a bit worrying!
    Has anyone got any other ideas as to how we can encourage them to opt?

3. We were having this problem as the kids were on 3 x 13 week project rotating around the department. It meant that in Feb when they were making their choices a third of the year group had not experianced one of the tech area, & another third had only just moved into their 2 rotation.
    We changed this year to 6 x 6/7 week projects - so for example everyone had done some food by the time they did their options, and would return to do a second unit of food at a later time.
    We also prepared a 15-20 min powerpoint presentation which all staff gave their groups the week before the options came out
    HTH

4. I think that getting students to choose D and T is a huge countrywide issue - often related to their parents perceptions that it is not an academic subject. they do not realise that it is cross curricular and covers a huge range of skills which are relevant for many learning siutations and jobs.
    So what do we do. I created an options leaflet a few years ago and update this every year -every student is given one. We give a powerpoint presentation in an assembly which has pictures of finished products, music etc and is very upbeat and quite fun. We usually have a year 9 parents eve just before the options choices and i tell every year 9 student they must see a tech teacher and we then do the hard sell to them and their parents. This year we also had an options evening for parents at which we had a big display of work (folders and practical). I tell students in lessons that they should be doing design technology for GCSE. I always take a very positive approach and ask which D and T they are doing rather than 'are you doing D an T' I also start talking it up in the autumn term and make sure they know they are good at it. I find they choose subjects they acheive hgh marks in. We also have a fashion show and design and technology display evening every year. Year 9 work is in the fashion show ( we make waistcoats/fleece jackets etc) and this year several year 9's made extra skirts so their waistcoats were actually outfits. This really promotes the subject in the lower school. we also get all years involved in the modelling so they 'get the bug'. It ia hard work but so far fingers crossed it has the desired effect. we have an average of 90-110 students each year doing the subject out of 168. which is not bad. we usually have an average of 35/40 for textiles although it has been as high as 54 and as low as 29. We introduced food this year and this has been popular with the boys as we suspected. All students choose 4 options but can choose hairdressing and film making so we do have some stiff competition. SLT claim it's not abut selling the subject. But they are very wrong. less GCSe students = less staff needed = someone out of a job!

5. we had a wake-up call a few years ago when we first tokk away the compulsory status from D&T at KS4 and we floundered badly. Unless you have high profile exam work the kids down the skill don't really know about D&T GCSE and as a result en up hearing how hard it is and how much work it is compared to other subjects. We who are passionate about it certainly agree that this is the case but love it just the same! So...
    We made a concerted effort to raise the profile in school. Tlod kids how good they were even in year 8 and that they should be doing GCSE in future. Held competitions in D&T week (21st -26th this month) and gave big prizes in assembly.
    Made the subject 'cool' and 'sexy' talking about the latest gadgets that the kids love and showing you tube videos as starters. prepapred a big display showing all the jobs that technology can get you into and talked in assembly. made sure we were doing Licence to cook and ignored Food technology for one year to get kids cooking again instead of designing food in drawings etc. used teams all the time with the help of kagan structures and KS3 strategy activities. Finally did a talk in assembly. It worked and got us more takers. This year we got caught out with the date , have been chasing our tales trying to meet all the extra deadlines in a totally changed school and fell short of our intentions. qwe weren't given time in assembly and guess what we - lost rm in yr 10 and textiles in one year group. We did more making and lots less writing.
    We only have one food room and one textiles room so this may also have something to do with it as the timetable for our GCSEs has to be on the same day at the same time, but demnd did fall in all but Food..

6. Just caught this thread because I was searching for ideas for exhibtions / fashion shows and it reflects much of what has happened this year after options. Lost textiles this year, I am completely gutted especially after being over perscribed last year. (However some of this yr10 have opted thinking it might be an 'easy' subject!!)
    You're totally right, the rest of the school are not sure what we do and we need to show it off and relate it to how they can use it in the future.
    I also think we should be rotating subjects in yr9 more so they get taster sessions a) to get them interested in opting but b) to keep the interest of studenst who know they are not going to opt but still produce good work.
    Any other ideas on how they have approached this dilema would be appreciated.
    thks

7. just caught this old thread when I searched fashion shows. Wanted to do something similar in my school having lost textiles this yr after low options.
    Any ideas from anyone else how they have tackled the problem of getting studenst to opt.