1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year leader post

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by manda1875, Jun 9, 2016.

1. manda1875

manda1875 New commenter

Historically in our school you had to lead a core subject to be a year leader however, you don't always get the best member of staff doing the role. In an ideal world I would like to appoint a year group leader on an annual basis so that I can move people around from yr group to year group. (We are a 3 form entry school.) Am I allowed to do this? Can I just select one out of three in the year group? And change it every year?or... do I have to put the role up on display as an advert and let people 'go" for the job and interview. What are your thoughts?

2. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Sounds like a recipe for conflict in the future if/when someone is shifted meaning that they are no longer a year group leader. Certainly if there's pay attached to the role.

You can do what you like as regards who you appoint and how you advertise it but an openly competitive process is best, as you otherwise risk ruffling feathers and (if you fail to appoint someone pregnant or from a particular ethnic or religious group) you could invite a claim for discrimination.

marmitesaint likes this.
  3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

We do this manda and it works really well - staff know that it is a temporary TLR for that year only - it means many more staff get leadership opportunities.

In terms of 'advertising' etc, around March/April we ask staff who are interested in being a year leader to submit a side of A4 stating which year group and why they would be good etc. Generally there is only one applicant per year group (the one you might hope/want!) and year groups where there a few we have a short 20 minute chat based interview