1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year lead but no TLR..

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pipkin1989, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pipkin1989

Pipkin1989 New commenter

Hello,
    Just after a bit of advice after reading this year's pay guidelines.
    It says teachers shouldn't be expected to take on additional responsibilities/accountabilities such as managing another group of teachers without additional payment.
    I've been a year group leader/head of year at my current school for 2 years (primary school - 3 from entry).
    I don't get any extra payment for having this 'privelage'. I just have the extra headache of more work to do and the year group data as well as my own to answer for at the end of the year (my performance management is based on it - no pay increase for me this year as a result!)
    Am I right in thinking there should actually be a TLR attached to this role? And if so, are my school within their rights to not give it as a TLR?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If there's no TLR, I'm not sure they can hold you accountable for the results of classes other than yours. It might not be unreasonable to have a target relating to something you do (eg new SoW), but I thought that subject leadership without a TLR meant you couldn't be held responsible for outcomes.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My first reaction was the same, @frustum. However, it refers to "subject leadership" and I am not sure if being a year group leader counts as this. I think it should, however, but the school might be able to wriggle out of it.