1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year Group Colleague - sucks out all the life and ideas from us

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by kazza1968, Mar 3, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Mystery, I've been biting my tongue but find myself unable to resist replying to your post.

You are not an Early Years teacher. What's with the sage advice to those who are?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Am I the only one who actually feels sorry for Kazza's colleague?
    There are three teachers and she is clearly the outsider...

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

No, I feel sorry for her too. I think thumbie's post about how she might be feeling deskilled was really kind. I lost sympathyh for kazza when she made her smug remark about how she's lucky.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

lucky in that her childcare is all sorted etc, that is
    I can imagine the atmosphere at the atart of the school day. Horrible. A bit of honesty is in order.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

For some reason, this post really irritated me. Mystery, you are not an EY teacher, so why come on as though you were?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

actually it was that post that made me feel really sorry for the colleague

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

How could anyone with a shred of humanity console themself with the fact that there could be something terrible going on in someone else's life?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

***. I didn'tsay that - mystery10 did.

9. I think the whole scenario speaks volumes about the work, work, work culture that seems to prevail in teaching at this time, when nothing is ever good enough and when 'satisfactory' is a term of abuse.
    'Satisfactory' actually means 'sufficient'.
    I feel sorry for all the players in this situation. The OP is obviously conscientious, committed and creative. She seems to be jumping through the hoops. I don't know if the colleague will survive in teaching, but maybe she can spend a year hanging onto OP's shirt-tails and get by until she gets a bit of drive back.
    Of course, it's all academic as none of actually know any of the people involved, but let's hope the views put forward have been helpful.